Can cats adapt to all this - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Can cats adapt to all this

Before I lost my job I had a plan to move after I sold my house. Many of you know my cats are very outdoor/indoor and they get along because they have multiple rooms to choose from to avoid each other and they spend a lot of the day outdoors. Well I still think I should try to move but I have to get a job in the area I would move to. Then I would have to rent a furnished place until my house sold. So the cats would have to move into a much smaller temporary place - stay indoors - and then move to another small place also indoors. I feel Mama could do it. I don't see Blanco as a barn cat - he is very afraid of other cats and he is fat now. He is white. I think he would be eaten, beaten. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Cat

I think cats tend to adapt well to any environment but that's just my opinion
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 06:44 AM
Premier Cat

He will adapt to staying indoors, but it's going to be hard on you. He will yowl and complain and make a terrible fuss about being indoors for weeks but will eventually resign himself to the fact that this is the new normal for him and settle down. It will take plenty of patience on your part (and good ear plugs) but stick with it. I'm really sorry you are going through these life changes but I'm glad you are keeping your furbabies with you. They will be fine - what they really want is you.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Premier Cat

Also be prepared for some redirected aggression. While he adjusts he'll be angry and since he already uses the other cat as a punching bag, that may increase a lot until he settles in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mama stays in a lot since it is winter and eats my food and will play with toys. She is so sweet. Why anyone abandoned her I don't know. Blanco's future will depend on his ability to co-exist with her while confined because he ruins it for her now. My problem is honestly I don't want to play with them. I set things up for them to play if they want.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 AM
Premier Cat

I think they'll be ok moving twice - not happy, but they'll adjust pretty quickly Mama more so than Blanco, I imagine. In a small space, you can give them more room with one or two tall cat trees and/or shelves on the walls. If you have two bedrooms, maybe you can make one Mama's safe room?

If you have several toys that Blanco can entertain himself with, and places he can climb to, it might be easier for him. The cat tree(s) should be in front of windows so he can look out (but hopefully not in a direction where there are any cats outside). I'm often too busy to play for long periods, or if I have time, no one feels like playing. Margaux would never, ever play by herself. I had to be attached to the other side of any toy for her to have any kind of interest. But Celia will bat the squeaky mouse that hangs over the door or the ball in the ball-in-circle toy. I know you said he's fat, but a treat ball might keep him occupied if other toys don't interest him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page