About to have another cat dumped on me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

About to have another cat dumped on me

My grandparents, who are both 90's are having a hard time living on their own lately. They had hired help (certified medical aides) but they are costly in the long run and there isn't any relative who lives close by that can do round the clock care so they decided to move to "old people farm" where they can have round the clock assistance and cost less than hired aides. However none of the place allows pet.

The cat have lived rather sheltered life. No other pet, and rarely likes other people. I was one of the few she warmed up and allowed me to pet and hold her. I guess I smell like a friendly cat person to her somehow.

They've tried other relatives, no one can take a single cat. They don't want to take it to a shelter as older cat often don't get appreciated, the cat may end up getting adopted out to some unknown people, plus this one cat has never been around other cat. I am a last resort and I do have a concern as I already have 5 cats.

Throwing her outside or any of my cats are not an option, the weather's been dipping below 0 degree (about -18 Celsius) so it's too cold for house cat to spend any length of time.

What can I do? I would love to keep her around so I can take her over to visit when they can come meet outside or visiting relative's house (hence not taking to a shelter) and I have no way of knowing how any of my cats will react.

The eldest at 13 years old will probably not do anything, he just spends a lot of time sleeping on a kitchen chair. He leaves kitchen only to use litter box. The 3 youngest cats (9 months to 4 years old) are a rowdy bunch and may cause a racket that makes wrestling show seems dull and tame. The 5th cat is 8 year old queen of the house and she hasn't accepted the 4 year old female at all. She also chases other cats outside.

All house cats (and grandparent's cat) are neutured or spayed, Most of the outside feral cats who are staying around have been tnr'd so uncut cat is rare around the farm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

Koneko,
I think there may be a chance for her, if you can do a slow introduction...
It would be very sad, to have to put her in a shelter...
She would miss her people terribly, and to be stuck in such a place, could well break her heart...not to mention, how, I'm sure your Grandparents, would feel over it...it would break their hearts as well...
What a spot you are in...
I hope others will have some great ideas for you...
Meanwhile,
(((HUGS))) and Prayers
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Cat Addict

Oh what a shame. Thatsa tough situatuion for the cat, you and your grandparents.I agree with Sharon that a shelter would break this kitty if she has been in a home along time and the centre of attention.
How about starting with some slow introductions to the rest of your fur family? It might take some time from both sides and lots of patience, esp in view of the ages of most of the cats involved.Even if they get to respect each other not neccessarily best friends that might be acceptable. I am sure if that could be the answer then all of you would feel happy and not so stressed. However the onus is all really on you which is not a nice situation to be in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

First day, she's a bit upset with us. She has taken residence under the bed. Only the middle and youngest cats have seen her up close but they left her rather quickly. The other 3 cats haven't tried to get close at all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Cat Addict

Ooh, have you just let them all have access to each other? If so then that's possibly going to make the process of getting a happy family harder. Your new resident needs a safe room for a while where she can settle into, way before meeting the other cats. Try reading this Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat I think it will help you all.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Cool Cat

Sharon and Jenny are correct that a proper, slow introduction is the best way of ensuring a harmonious transition for all of your cats. I myself have 6 cats + the occasional foster, and they all get along--not all of them are best friends, but they all happily co-exist with minimal drama; and, not all of my cats are typically friendly with other cats. With the exception of Autumn and Ramona (who are mother and daughter), all of my cats joined the family at different times and different ages as well, so it is certainly possible to add another, older cat to a 5 cat household and still maintain harmony. Of course, the personalities of your individual cats play a roll in how well they get along and in the formation of friendships and rivalries, but it's been my experience that difficult cats, regardless of whether they're the newbie or the welcoming committee, can learn to peacefully co-exist 99 times out of 100, given a long enough introduction period. The cats I foster tend to be adult semi-ferals, so they're often with me long enough that they end up joining "general population" after they reach a certain point in their socialization--because they've usually spent a couple of months in the isolation room being socialized, and my cats have gotten used to the smells and sounds of the other cat by then. That said, even if I weren't isolating these cats for the purpose of socialization and was only looking to introduce a new cat to the mix, I would still expect to spend 2-3 months on the introduction simply because I know my cats and a couple of them take a while to warm up (read as: not go berserk) around new cats.

Introducing your new kitty may not take more than a couple of weeks or it could take several months. Putting everybody together as quickly as possible and hoping for the best is stressful for cats and can lead to bad first-impressions that could potentially result in ongoing conflict and behavioural issues (God knows there are enough "cat politics" in a 5 or 6 cat household without going looking for trouble); rather, the goal of a proper introduction is to make the process of adding another cat as stress-free as possible for everyone involved, both during the introduction period and for the rest of your kitties lives together. It's certainly more work to do a proper introduction, but when the payoff is a calm, harmonious household, it's well worth the extra time and effort.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dt8thd; 01-19-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Looks like the newcomer (she is 4 and 1/2 years old, not a kitten) is adapting quickly. The eldest cat has ignored her so far. The second youngest cat seems to enjoy sharing bed with her. The youngest one (about 9 months) was put down rather quickly, he has learned that she is not a play-cat. He still comes close but not to play.

The 2 remaining cats have been keeping their distance so far. The newcomer is also warming up to her new surrounding and is not hiding under the bed anymore.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

This is Great news!! Very happy to hear this!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page