Morning behavior - changed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Morning behavior - changed

The boys are about 9 months now.. Partner gets up around 6am to get ready for work. I sleep til about 7. The boys would usually either stay asleep with me or go see what other half is up to. Id feed them around 8am before leaving for work.

Lately though, as soon as my partners alarm goes off they start meowing like crazy and dont let up until they are fed. Im waking up grumpy every morning now.

We did go away for 3 weeks and had a pet minder who came around 7am. Doesnt fully explain 6am though.

Is there some way we can train them to go back? They were so good letting us sleep but suddenly no more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Premier Cat

At 9 months of age they are almost mature in growth, but depending on their breed, may take another year (Manx and Maine Coone cats are slow maturing), but most Domestics are mature from 9 mos to a year. Are you free feeding or feed them "meals"? If meals, make their last meal of the day just before you go to bed. When you come home from work you could give them some treats to tide them over until their evening meal. I like to scatter tge treats around on the floor like a "treasure hunt" and make them work for it. They enjoy the hunt of finding them. I would ignore any pleas to be fed at 6 am, don't feed them as soon as someone is out of bed but after you've been up and about for a little while. Hopefully they'll go back to their old ways of letting you sleep till 7 am. If they don't shape up after a couple of weeks, put them in another room for the night with their evening meal, litter box, water. I need my sleep in the morning or I'm grumpy too, so I know how you feel! Good luck

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, ignore them, they'll get used to the change.

Because the street is torn up and being worked on in front of my house, Cali is too scared by the noise to eat in the morning. I now have to feed them as soon as I get up, before the work begins. I'm hoping they'll adjust quickly to their old feeding time when the street work is done.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 01-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the advice. We give them meals - they get a bit more in the morning to see them through the day, and then their usual at night. They usually get some diluted kitty milk in the afternoon, and some raw meat in the evening around 6pm. They are brilliant with their night time meal. They know their dinner time is about 9pm, and while they are hopeful whenever I go to the kitchen they don't carry on constantly.

I feed them about an hour before I go to bed, becuase they turn into living hurricanes right after their dinner. The other night we got home around 10, fed them and went straight to bed and they were absolute monsters!! There is no way I am giving in to them at 6, because I bet they will push it and try for earlier!! Do you think perhaps give them the bigger meal at night time instead of morning?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I give my girls their biggest meal when I get home from work because that's when they're the most active - during the hours between when I get home and before I go to bed, so that's when they need the extra food.

I used to give them their biggest meal in the morning since I'm gone so long, but they mostly sleep during the day. And for a while, I gave them their biggest meal at my bedtime, but they don't need the extra food because they're going to get fed in another 5 hours when I get up.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Being young cats, I would stick with feeding them a hour before you go to bed as before, so they get all the "crazies" out of their system. Hopefully they are letting you sleep til 7 am soon.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. I don't usually go lights-out as soon as I feed them, it's usually about 30-60 minutes later.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Tom Cat

Feeding a big meal right before bed definitely helps. My mornings are relatively consistent, but occasionally variable, so I always make sure Jasper gets his largest portion before we go to bed so he's drowsy if I need to get up earlier than normal.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hmm well i have swapped the bigger meal to the evening but this eeek thay are much the same. On the weekend, they were so good, we all slept til about 9-10am ! The issue i think is that my partner is up and about so to them its a case of why havent we been fed yet.

Do any of you have dry food out overnight? We havent fed dry for a very long time and id prefer not too but am curious if this might make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page