Cat biting and scratching - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat biting and scratching

Hello,

Since the last few days, I have observed that my cat responds aggressively to being petted for longer than he wants. He holds my hands with both his front paws, claws extended, scratching, and tries to hit my hands with rear paws, while also biting my hand. It hurts, especially the claws. He still shows affection the same way as before, just sometimes for no reason does this. He is usually very polite and affectionate.

A month back I was traveling out of country so I gave him to a foster home temporarily and he seemed happy. I collected him 3 weeks back. He is 11 months old now so I don't know if this is a behavioral change and if I should get him neutered or if it's because of the fostering.

Any opinion?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Leo,
Yes! It's time to get your boy neutered! He's more than ready.
If you've been lucky enough, that he hasn't started spraying yet, do it asap, or he will start spraying on things to mark his territory, and male cat spray is terrible smelling!

On him grabbing and biting now, there's a possibility, that the people you left him with, were playing inappropriately with him, using their hands as toys, etc...

So get him neutered before his hormones start really raging...
And have a toy he can 'Attack' close by, to give to him, when he goes for your hands or arms...
Also, in a loud voice, say "Owww", to let him know he's crossed the line with you!
Hopefully, others will have some suggestions and ideas for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Sharon. Getting him neutered will only help things for the better! For kitty and your own sake. You can also google topics on neutering here on this forum or just google in general on the net, but getting him fixed will definitely help. There could also be an affordable s/n clinic in your area. A male cat's surgery would also cost less than a female, so you're fortunate there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmfFTAUiAE
Low-Cost-Spay-Neuter

Another thing, you never, ever, want to play with him with your hands or feet. Don't encourage him to bite/claw at you. Play with a laser or wand/fishing pole type toy instead. You might also look up on reading his body language when he's had enough of your petting. It can often lead to overstimulating your cat, which leads to bites/nips/scratches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdnhtMYJ7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-yk1KxYX0

I also trim both of my cat's nails every 1-2 weeks minimum, so they are blunt and not sharp and pointy! I've also heard of others using "soft paws".

Another option that would work would be to get a 2nd kitty, one that would be his playmate and help him with his socialization issues--playing nicely and not biting/clawing hard. Lots of members here have realized the importance of proper socialization when they're having problems like you're encountering. Hope at least one of these solutions works out for you, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page