Cats and sugar gliders? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cats and sugar gliders?

Does anyone own a cat and sugar gliders or have in the past? How do they do together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Tom Cat

Not at all advisable. If you really want both keep them in separate areas. We have one room for our lizard that is locked so the cats can't get in. Still, with a sugar glider I'd secure the door by stuffing a towel under the crack so the glider can't get out through the space between the floor and the door.

I'd never let the sugar glider out in the same area as a cat. They are one of the most active and nervous rodents and that's just what cats have evolved to respond to.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Actually, sugar gliders are marsupials, not rodents. I very much appreciate the advice though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Cat

Lol, I think it's certainly doable! I have rats, and my cat actually cuddles with them and licks them. (Yeah, I know, not exactly the same thing but!) I don't recommend them being in the same area, because my kitty is just a really good girl. I do, however, recommend MUCH supervision. All cats are different and will respond differently, you'll want to see how your cat(s) react to it.
If you're planning on getting a sugar glider.. Awesome! I'm super jealous!😊
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Cat Addict

I've got a fat tailed gecko, fire belly toads, and guinea pigs along with my cats. The way i handle it depends on the animals involved and the temperament of the cats.

Our piggies live in a no-fly-zone for the cats. Id love to have them in the livingroom but the cats are way too interested for that to be safe. So the piggies live in my office/garden/book/craft room.

The gecko and toad tanks are in our kitchen/dining area. The cats have always had tanks around and its fenerally been fine. I did lose a gecko that escaped his tank a long time ago (RIP Littlefoot), and Jitzu broke into a different tank making Whiteling drop her tail...but over the course of 8 years thats not bad.

With reptiles my main concern is the heat lamps - depending on where you live gliders might need a lamp too. Id put the cage in a no-kitty room, so interactions would only happen if you chose to bring the glider out, and I'd go very slowly...it might be possible, but it could also go very badly. You need to assess how strong your cats prey drive is, how anxious and flighty the glider is, and if your relationship to both is worth the risk.

If your cat did go after the glider could you get over it? Can you afford the possible vet bills? Etc. If you have a kitten its more likely to work because it may be able to learn 'friends not food'...but its basically never going to be a guarantee.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Cat

I guess if you don't have an especially hunt-y cat. All cats hunt, obviously, some are just more athletic about it than other. It only takes one bite to kill an animal as small as a sugar-glider. Lots of people have odd pet combos that work out with diligent supervision.

I honestly just couldn't handle the stress. If I were at work, knowing my cat was home with my sugar glider, that would be all I could think about. Cats are so smart, they could probably figure out how to get into the sugar glider cage.

Maybe keep the sugar glider's enclosure in a different room, with a closed door, when you're not home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page