Going on Holidays/Vacation - Advice Needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Going on Holidays/Vacation - Advice Needed

We're due to go on holidays for 9 days next week and I'm panicking about leaving our guys We have 3 of our own and 2 fosters at the moment, we'll have a pet sitter that we really trust coming twice a day to do feeds/litter/some attention, also my mother and someone from the organisation we foster for have offered to call in and make sure the guys are okay. They guys are all indoor only and I think a cattery would stress them more than us being away. I'm still panicking, does anyone have any advice on how to make things easier on us and them? Really considering not going, I'm really worried about leaving them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Premier Cat

You're a dedicated Meowmie, Leanne.

But,I think you've got everything covered. Everyone has an emergency phone number to reach you in the event of an emergency right?

Are you leaving the country?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the reply!! I am, going to Florida. She has my number and my mother's number here in case she needs anything, she's also a good friend of the people we foster for so that's good in case she's concerned about them.

We also, got a pet monitoring camera, I just have to figure out how to get them to stay in the one spot so I can watch them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Tom Cat

The only suggestion I have is for you not to make a big deal when you leave. Don't give them extra attention right before you go. Otherwise they should be fine with the experienced sitter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Premier Cat

Leanne,
Put all of their food, treats, kitty litter containers, (litter boxes stay where they are!) etc, in one location where it's all easily accessible!

Make sure you leave the Vets phone number for any emergencies, you can also call your vet and let them know you have a pet sitter taking care of your guys, leave the name of the pet sitter with them.
Leave a number with your vet, that you can be reached at!

You can also ask your pet sitter for updates and pictures! Most do this now anyway!
It sounds like you pretty much have the bases covered!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
The only suggestion I have is for you not to make a big deal when you leave. Don't give them extra attention right before you go. Otherwise they should be fine with the experienced sitter.
That's really good advice because I would be really tempted to make a big deal of it and that might make them tense, thanks!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Leanne,
Put all of their food, treats, kitty litter containers, (litter boxes stay where they are!) etc, in one location where it's all easily accessible!

Make sure you leave the Vets phone number for any emergencies, you can also call your vet and let them know you have a pet sitter taking care of your guys, leave the name of the pet sitter with them.
Leave a number with your vet, that you can be reached at!

You can also ask your pet sitter for updates and pictures! Most do this now anyway!
It sounds like you pretty much have the bases covered!
Sharon
Ooh, I hadn't thought to let the vet know so I'll definitely do that! We have the same vet so that will be an easy one
Also good advice about moving the treats and food etc to the same place, must make sure everything is easy to find! Thanks!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Does everyone take holidays? I feel like I'm terrible for leaving the guys, we had it booked before we bought our house so it will be the last for a long time.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Tom Cat

Yes my husband and I go away for extended weekends pretty frequently. It's all we can do with my dad living out of state. The cats are fine when we go away and we don't worry because we have two people from our shelter come and look after them while we are gone. We use the same vet the shelter has too so they already know who to go to (and who not to go to) if something goes wrong. When we come back our youngest seems extra clingy but he's back to normal by the evening.

The first time we went away with our original cat we were wrecks however. Subsequent trips were easier. Then when we took in our second we became wrecks again the first time we left him. It's just an emotional thing on our parts.

I've only been punished by my cats once while I was away overnight for New Year's. The cats opened our fridge and ate all the meat and cheese that was in there. It was an apartment where our fridge was not properly leveled so if the door opened it would swing wide open and stay there. So all we got out of the cat party was a whole fridge of room temperature foods lol. I don't worry about it happening again. We have a different set of cats and the sitter would definitely notice if our fridge door was open!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

I also leave my Cc# with my vet and cleared a certain amount, I think it was 150.00. That way the pet sitter can take them without worrying and the vet knew that they might call and it was all covered..

I also requested nightly texts, but my pet sitter went 1 step further an texted me nightly pics. I loved that, it relieved a lot of worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page