intense displays of affection - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

intense displays of affection

So Freyja is about 4 months old at the moment and been booked in for her desexing in two months time

Quite frequently when I am laying down she will climb on top of me and knead and lick and rub her face against my neck or arm or chest all the whilst purring madly. She won't stop until I physically stop her (otherwise she rubs my skin raw with her little tongue and claws!)

Is this normal kitten behaviour? Loki was never this intense with his affections though he tended to be more "needy" where Freyja is more bold and independent (Still loves cuddles though obviously).

I know when kittens are with Mummy they knead the teat and suckle to get the milk. Is this perhaps residual behaviour similar to that?

Anyone else with ultra affectionate kittens out there?

Loki: Blue point Devon Rex
Freyja: My flame and blue Devon Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM
Premier Cat

Why wait until she is 6 months old to spay her? There is no good reason unless that is policy in Australia. Why take the chance of her going into heat prematurely, I say. Her actions sound like they may be heat related but they may just be her sweet way of loving on you. I've had some fosters that were like that, and I understand what you mean by over the top affection. Thankfully their new adoptive momma and dads don't seem to mind.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Tom Cat

I love cats who show over the top affection! Yes sometimes it's a little annoying when you need to get something accomplished and they are just clinging to you but it pays off when you do have time to just enjoy it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat

She has done this ever since I got her at 14 weeks which seems a tad early for heat behviour but that definitely was something that had crossed my mind.

I'm waiting for 6 months because none of the vets in the area will do her before then unfortunately

Alot of the vets I have visited here (I shopped around to find the right one) told me I got Loki done too early at 5 months and that a lot of the UTI issues they see is because they got fixed too young. To be honest I haven't done enough independent research into the matter to say either way about juvenile desexing but I wanted Loki (male) done asap because I didn't want to run the risks of him spraying.

If she DOES go into heat I will just have to be hypervigiliant, she is a purely indoor cat and Loki is desexed so really it will just be a matter of keeping her from door dashing.

So far however she is absolutely terrified of the outside world x.x She never door dashes (Unlike her brother!) and even when I take her outside to do the washing she wants to sit on my shoulder and not come down

In the meantime I am enjoying the affection it just seems a little... over the top. I'm not too worried about it just curious if others had experienced the same.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Cat

Agnes is like this too and I got her at the same time, 14 weeks.She sits up on my chest and kneads me in the neck and licks my neck and face. It's sweet but a little obnoxious, especially when you are trying to sleep.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

MowMow (10 years) and Neelix (9 months) are both like this. Over the top loving and affectionate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Haha its good to hear that everyone gets to enjoy the pleasure of kitty mauling.

its so cute because she will sit on my chest whilst doing it and it looks like she is trying to maul my throat whilst purring madly >.>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page