Cute kitty is waking us up! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Cute kitty is waking us up!

Does anyone have a suggestion or method...
Daisy an indoor cat has decided ( she is 9 years old) that between 4:30-6am she thinks its time for me to get up. She chirps like a bird and comes in to my room to get me out of bed to start the days routine...fresh water, food, sniff the air outside, read the paper, play etc., My husband chirps back at 5am saying take care of her NOW, so now I am up. So I have tried to refresh their ( she has a mellow brother) water /food before bed, placed them in the basement where she acted out and has peed on the carpet, then placed them in the back room of the basement that seems to frighten them, even with cozy beds. I know she wants attention but I need my sleep too. If she would not chirp and just come in and cuddle that would be great.

Help I have LOST SLEEP for months, I guess she thinks she is in control! She sleeps most of the day and after not seeing me for about 4 hours she tracks me down not matter when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Cat

Try some interactive play for as much as possible in the evening, maybe she'll crash a little longer. Kitties want up, though....so....I guess if she never did this before now, you were pretty lucky...lol

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Some people have used the vaccum cleaner trick. Shut your door and keep the vacuum right next to the door (on your side) and when she cries or scratches to get in, turn it on. Other than that, you really, really have to ignore her. By getting up, she's getting what she wants, and you are being trained very well.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Cat Addict

personally if my OH chirped at the cat and then told me to get up and take care of them. He would be out of the bed doing it. Doesn't help if he is teaching her it is ok. You guys have to be on the same page of consistency. Like others have said. Ignore.

Other then that. Vigorous play session before bed and a late snack right after.

She is also just about the right age to consider a senior blood panel.

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 01-27-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Ha, ha, BB! I was trying not to go there.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Cat Addict

LOL Marie. been married too long NOT to go there!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Premier Cat

My crew let me sleep in until 6:30 this morning! Almost an hour and a half later than usual!! I feel blessed (and rushed!!!) this AM!, .....gotta go......!!!!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Cool Cat

I'm really lucky that none of my 6 kitties are the least bit disruptive in the early morning. Honestly, I'm usually up before the cats are (I get up at 6am for work). My cats do like to make it difficult to get to sleep some nights, however. Galileo is particularly obnoxious because he sticks his paws under the closed bedroom doors and pulls to slam the door against the door frame, which wakes everyone in the house up. He's ridiculously persistent too; if the person he wants to sleep on won't let him in, he'll come and slam on my door to get me out of bed--and then he'll lead me over to the room he wants access to and ask me to open the door! Galileo's very clever, but he uses his cleverness for mischief like this.

We used to confine Leo to the basement on nights when he was being really obnoxious, but the litter boxes are in the basement, so shutting him downstairs means shutting all of the other cats off from their toilets--unless I want to stagger around the house, half asleep, rousing peacefully sleeping kitties and luring them into the basement (which I don't). Autumn and Choco-cat would probably end up fighting if I locked them all in the basement overnight anyway.

Galileo just wants to cuddle at night; he's not banging for food or anything, but it's impossible to get a good night's sleep if you cave and let him in because he spends the whole night going in and out, and in and out, and in and out, every half hour, waking you up every time he departs and returns.

People in my house tend to stay up really late, so there aren't too many hours between the last person going to bed and the first person getting up, which is, I'm sure, a big part of why our cats are such late risers. And, this time of year, Leo's not as prone to disrupting our sleep cycles quite as often, even if everyone does decide to turn in at a reasonable hour because we have a couple of cat beds set up in the family room, and the heated floor is always on during the winter months, which makes the prospect of sleeping downstairs much more appealing to him.

As far as your girl is concerned, I would suggest not feeding her immediately upon waking--it seems to get some cats in the habit of annoying their people out of bed.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

Last edited by dt8thd; 01-28-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page