Siblings cats not getting along... At all. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Siblings cats not getting along... At all.

Hi there.

I have a brother and sister cat who are nearly 2 years old... They've been together their wholes lives and were bonded as siblings are. I went away for a weekend about 6 months ago and when I returned it was as if I came home to two completely different cats. The female attacks the male any chance she gets - she growls at him, hisses at him and chases him and he is quite frightened of her. I have done EVERYTHING. I have tried f eliway, rescue remedy, calming treats, calming paste, feeding them together and I make sure I give each of them one on one time with me and supervised play time (I can't even have them around each other unsupervised), I took the female to the vet for a full check up and she healthy! I seperate them when I'm not home and at night and find myself having to constantly be watching them otherwise she attacks him. I had a behavioral consult with another vet a couple of weeks ago and even she was stumped! They used to love each other....

I really don't want to have to split them up but I am running out of options fast... Maybe my girl would be better off as an only cat? I just don't know what else to do! I've never heard or siblings fighting like this before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

If that happened to my twins, it would break my heart!

I would go with baby gates for a while. Sounds like you've tried most everything else. I bought 3 cheap ones and stacked them on top of each other. That way the cats are exposed to each other, but can't attack.

I would also try kitty prozac at this point. I know some people are anti-drug, but it really can help sometimes and it's not very expensive at all.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds like something happened while you were gone, unfortunately you can't rewind time and there's no guarantees they'll ever get back to 'normal'.

Personally, my suggestions would be to completely separate them for a month to see if you can 'reboot' and start over. THEN do a full re intro (Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat) as if they'd never met before.

During the month they're separated work with your boy in building his confidence. Personally, I like teaching basics using a clicker. Get him to do 'touch', 'sit', 'spin', it doesn't really matter. The point is to encourage him and be positive. With your girl practice her 'come' - you CAN teach a cat to come. Start with 'touch' (youtube has lots of clicker training videos for dogs, the basics are the same but go a little slower with cats. Use GOOD treats, cheese, cooked meat, etc. Not kibbles.) and gradually teach her that coming to you is the BEST EVER. This way you might be able to get her to come rather than chase. If she does you make a huge fuss and give her the BEST EVER treat!

I'd also keep up with the feliway, scent swapping, and play times. It can only help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

When you went away for the weekend, did you have a sitter come in to feed them or were they left on their own with food? If you had a sitter, I would check with the person to see if s/he observed the type of behavior you came back to. It does sound like there was some incident that happened that especially frightened your girl.....it could have been seeing a stray cat outside to upset her, or event the scent of one. Our houses/apts. are not airtight and cats can smell other cats inside and out. Often all it takes is one incident to ruin a relationship, even tho they are siblings and grew up together, this is not that uncommon. I agree with the suggestions you have already received. I think at this stage I would start with some medication from you vet to get your girl calmed down for a while and then very gradually wean her off it and see if that fixes it. Good luck and hope your kitties can get their friendship restored.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page