My cat miaows... A LOT. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat miaows... A LOT.

One of my kittens Rocky miaows a lot. Usually for food.
It's very annoying, and I'm not one to get annoyed with animals. It's almost cute, until it goes on for hours.

Daily routine:
My partner gets up at half 6 to go to work, he breakfasts in the kitchen with the cats and either lets them out or leaves them in depending on what they want. He generally doesn't feed them then. Usually Rolo wants to go out and Rocky wants to stay in. If they both go out, by half 7-8, Rocky wakes me up miaowing incessantly at the back door to come in. I don't go to him as I don't want to reward him for it; however I do worry about the neighbours! If Rolo goes out and Rocky stays in, Rocky wakes me up miaowing from the kitchen.

When I get up I go downstairs and feed them, Rocky is around my feet miaowing as I tip the pouch into the bowl. Regardless of whether there is dry food down he will miaow constantly for wet food. We have tried it so my partner feeds them before work but he still miaows for me.

Apart from an occasional social miaow and fussy miaows, between his breakfast and 3pm, he's generally quiet... for Rocky. Around 3pm, he suddenly thinks it's dinner time. So for the next three hours I have him miaowing at me, yowling, clawing my back to get my attention, I try to ignore it to try and stop the habit. In case he just wants to play I get the cat toys out, but after hes always back around his food bowl miaowing. Even though the bowl is full of dry food which he does like when he wants to.

As soon as he's fed, he'll usually stop miaowing. Sometimes he'll sit at night and miaow to nothing. It's quite cute but oh my god!

Rolo is so quiet and peaceful next to him, haha.
Sorry for the essay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Cat Addict

Hi there, Sarah

Well I had to go back to your initial introduction post to see how old your kittens were! So at 6 months, feeding them about 3 or 4 scheduled meals sounds about right. You say you're feeding him wet, but how much wet food is in per meal? One 3 oz can is about 85 grams, so perhaps if you feed him 1/2 of that or 3/4 of that can to see how much he'll eat in a sitting? I don't know about you, but I started feeding my two on mainly wet food diet when they were as young as 4-5 months old, as I found out it's healthier for them, especially male cats. Kittens require a lot more food because they burn up most of their energy by playing but also growing! Since he already likes wet food, I'd try to offer small portions of wet food throughout the day, and make the last meal of the night right before you go to bed but make it the biggest meal for him. And I wouldn't leave a FULL bowl of dry out at all. Instead, I'd leave a portioned amount, a measured 1/4 cup out overnight only. The thing with free-feeding is, you don't know who is eating what or how much. If one cat eats more than the other, and the other is lacking appetite or skips meals altogether, you probably wouldn't notice his sickness until maybe too late. So, giving scheduled meals makes more sense to know the health of your cat, and catch inappetence early on.

Also, investing in a great interactive toy, like the "flying frenzy" cat toy in the UK for at least 20-30 minutes in the afternoon and before his last meal can help tire him out. You just need to make sure that Rocky is so~~~~ exhausted that he needs to lay on his side and literally panting before you call it quits. Kittens will have boundless energy, so making this routine a few times a day will most likely help get him to tire out more quickly and rest throughout the night. Don't forget to feed his last BIG wet meal after this. This will put him in grooming mode after, and then help him doze off, hopefully throughout the night.

Consistency with all this can only help you get more sleep! Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Cat

My boy Merlin is very vocal when it come to food too. He meows when the dogs are fed, when I go into the bathroom or the kitchen. He does this regardless of if he was just fed or not. I have that interactive food ball coming to me to see if that helps. Luckily, he doesn't wake me ul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

TabbCatt - That is what I thought about food amounts. I was feeding them a pouch each in the morning and at night, and sometimes in the day if they seemed hungry.
When I went for their weigh in, the vet told me half a pouch in the morning and at night was ample with some dry food.
It's difficult having two cats as they are kept together at night and as I said, don't know how much dry food is being eaten by either. I supervise when they eat the wet food so I know they get equal.

We have great cat toys that they love but Rocky has never been overly enthusiastic with playing, he longs for affection more than play. Still... we'll try and tire him out even more and I'll decrease their intake of dry food, even though I don't think they eat much of it anyway. Luckily he only wakes me up in the morning. It's cuter than an alarm. Thanks for your help!

Ashlee - what is an interactive food ball? Might be something worth looking at if we have noisy cats!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Premier Cat

This is what I bought for Neelix to try and slow down his kibble consumption: I believe this is what she means by an interactive food ball.
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/16170.jpg

It did not work in my case. My little guy was pretty focused on food and would force the food out within half an hour.....then scream for more kibble. My only solution was to get rid of hte kibble and after a while he forgot about it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I don't think that would work for mine as he miaows for wet food only... can you imagine the mess?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page