Fun & games - starting at midnight! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fun & games - starting at midnight!

We have four cats (all from rescue centres), 2 males around 6 & 4 years old and 2 females who are sisters and aged 2.

From the day we got the girls, one of them, Emily, fell in love with Button, our youngest male cat. Really to the point where it’s so funny to watch them together as she spends her entire time following him around, washing him, sleeping with him and generally being a floozie! If he gets up, she follows. If he eats, she follows him and sits next to him. Rubbing up against him, wrapping her tail around him, rolling around in front of him, anything at all to get his attention. Whilst he seems indifferent to her most of the time and tolerates being continually pampered, evenings are a different story.

Every single night, usually around midnight when we’ve just fallen asleep, the games begin! Button stands above her, grabbing her by the scruff of the neck (or sometimes under her chin) and dragging her around the house, literally through the hallway and from room to room. It looks very painful and I presume it is, as she’s screeching and mewing and when we take him off her, he usually has a large tuft of her fur in his mouth. But then she immediately goes straight back to him, rubbing up against him and purring and rolling around on the floor. This goes on for around 1 hour – it depends who gets more tired first, him or us!! He drags her around, she’s squealing, we’re shouting and on it goes!

It doesn’t look as though he’s trying to mate with her, she’s laid on the floor and he just stands over her or drags her across the floor so I’m presuming this is some sort of dominance? But this never occurs during the day, only at night.

I’m also wondering why she doesn’t put up any resistance as I’m sure he’s hurting her but she just lies there and lets herself be pulled around the house.

All four cats have had “the snip” and Button doesn’t bother at all with the other female and vice versa. Emily has eyes only for Button and our other male isn’t at all interested in her either.

I’m just curious to know what this behaviour might be and if there’s anything we can do to “cool” Button’s ardour!! J

Last edited by marie73; 02-02-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Cat Addict

It sounds like he's trying to carry her, like a mother cat would carry a kitten! lol

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if she's going back for more it can't be THAT bad.

I would try a big playtime for both of them before you try to go to bed though. Get them really running and pouncing until they're tired, feed a little snack, and they should go and have a nap rather than go through this weird ritual.

Sounds hilarious though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page