Lost/Missing Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Lost/Missing Cat

Well, I recently joined this forum to ask foir advice about a minor behavior issue with my male cat, Topaz... but instead, it seems Topaz has gone missing. We last saw him yesterday morning.

I've checked the "scary" places in the house where a cat could get into trouble (e.g. the dryer, the dishwasher, etc.). He is NOT a hider and has a loud voice, and if he were stuck in a closet or even an air duct, he would let us know. (He's gotten stuck in closets before, so I know this for a fact.) He is an indoor-only neutered male, but has been known to sneak out open doors on occasion. He has not responded to our calling him at the doors, and he isn't in the garage either. This afternoon we put up "Lost Cat" posters near our house, with a color picture, brief description, reward, and phone number. He wears a collar with an ID tag, but doesn't have a microchip. He's young, only a little more than a year old. He is quite friendly, not at all shy, and literally the sweetest cat I've ever met.

Not sure what else we can do, but if you have any ideas, by all means please share! I have had cats go missing before, sometimes with happy endings but also sometimes with bad outcomes. So I am sick with worry, and trying not to share with my 7yo son (who is also beside himself) what could happen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Tom Cat

Do you have any shelters nearby? Our shelter will send emails with color photos and info about a lost cat to all it's volunteers. We help find a lot of cats for people whose indoor kitties have door-dashed. I'd also contact any vets nearby ask if anyone has called about a found cat and see if you can hang one of your fliers in their office.

Others might have more advice. In the past I've had cats come back on their own when they got hungry. I hope your boy is back with you and your son soon.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

Ginkgo, I'm sorry to hear that Topaz is missing. You could also post it on craigslist and put flyers up in the area pet stores.

If he's a confident cat, he might be having fun out there, in which case he might stay away for a few days. If he's scared, he's probably somewhere very close by. You could put food or catnip out to see if that lures him, or something with either your scent or his.

I'm sure others will have other tips. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Premier Cat

Ginkgo,
A cat can wander an area up to two square miles...
Years ago when one of mine had gotten out, I put posters up with his picture and description, and the magic word "Reward" on them, put them into the clear sheet covers, with the opening facing down (water can't run in!) in about a two mile radius, tacked to posts, etc...
I notified my vet (same area) and the local shelters,
MattCat did make it home in about a week or so...
I hope and pray Topaz makes it back to you and your son!
(((HUGS)))
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Tom Cat

Put a humane trap out with food. Your local shelters or rescue groups or neighbors may have one you can borrow. Talk to your neighbors, mail person, paper deliverer and kids in the neighborhood. Most will want to help and keep an eye out for him. I'm hoping Topaz has already returned. I know how scary it is when a cat gets lost. Let us know when you find him.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sprinkle some of the kitty litter from his box all around the outside of your house.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Cat

Sorry to hear your furbaby has gone missing. I've been there as well - with a door dasher. She got out on the night of our first freeze warning. Around 5am she came back meowing on our deck thank goodness. A little hypothermic but we warmed her up and she is fine now. Since then, we only use our back door because we can create a barrier between the entry to the utility area and the actual outside door by keeping the utility room door closed at all times - never open the actual door to the outside until we are sure there is no kitty in the area. Janus hasn't been too interested in that route since her 'escape night' any way but you never know.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Cat Addict

I totally echo the other suggestions - - litter can really draw a cat back. I also suggest doing a bit of a leaflet drop around neighbours asking them to check garages and sheds.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

Also check with your Works or Roads or Hwy. Dept. or who ever's job it is to pick up dead animals on the road. I hope he hasn't been run over, but it would at least be peace of mine to know if he had. Sorry you're having to go thro this....it's awful.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:28 AM
Cat

I am so sorry! It is scary when they wander off. Lucky that he is friendly, as he is more likely to survive that way. (Not afraid to tell someone he is hungry).

My 12 year old Otis went missing for four months last winter, the coldest winter in WI in decades, maybe ever. We had just moved and he was staying at my mom's house until we got settled in a home. I was worried he would try to find his way "home" 100 miles away.

Turns out, he was about two blocks away, living in someone's backyard doghouse and getting food from their four year old son.

My advice is to report your missing cat to the police department, the local humane society and on Craigslist. Our Otis was found through the police department and Craigslist. My sister reported Otis missing at the police department, and I posted lost cat pictures on Craigslist. When the weather got really cold, that four year old boy's dad asked a friend to take Otis into her heated garage. She recognized this friendly cat could be a pet and contacted the police department and found his picture on Craigslist. Otis was back with us by the end of the day, not bothered in the least by those months of separation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page