New Job Worried about My Boy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Job Worried about My Boy

I recently started a new job, had my first shift the other night, yes, over nights, in a group home. I have never left my furry son alone all night before. The look on his face as I closed the apartment door was comical and at the same time made me feel a little guilty.
But, if he is going to be kept in kitty treats and litter, I need to work! I like nights, so he is going to have to adjust. When I came home the next morning, he got right underfoot and I ended up stepping on him, I felt SO bad!
I fed him and checked out the apartment for possible damage, there was none. He was so excited to see me, he forgot to eat for almost 10 minutes, and this boy THINKS with his stomach!!
He has been very clingy since yesterday morning, I am not allowed out of his sight.
I am worried about future behavioral problems, and I want to avoid them if possible. Any suggestions on how to make this go any easier for him? He hates change.
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Cat Addict

Cats usually love routine so any change however big or small will throw them off. It will just take time for him to adjust. Although you are doing nights it's pretty much the same as anyone going to work in the day. Make some fuss of him before you go to work and when you get back. Make sure he has a clean box, water and has toys etc. If you are away for a long shift make sure he has food before you go. Mostly he'll do his normal thing (play and sleep) till you get home.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

This is exactly how I wound up with Shepherd Book.

I was unemployed for almost 2 years and MowMow was really used to me being home wiht him ALL the time. So I adopted Book to keep him company when I went back to work. Yeah......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

Oddthomas, if you think he's going to be stressed, leave a couple of pieces of your worn (ie, not washed) clothing in places where he usually sleeps. As jenny bf said, some extra cuddle time can't hurt.

And of course, you could consider getting him a playmate, like Book for MowMow. Actually, I did that too. I adopted Celia to keep Margaux company because at the time, I was at work for 7-8 hours every day, including weekends, and when I was home, I was also often working. Obviously, I'm so glad I adopted her, but looking back, Margaux probably would have been perfectly happy as an only cat. Oh well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Premier Cat

He will adjust. Be sure the time you do spend with him at home are quality. Snuggles, sleeping together, play time etc. Just make him the focus of your attention for awhile each day.

Don't jump on the "he needs a friend". I have found that most cats don't "need" a friend, nor do they necessarily want one after having been the only furbaby.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I agree with you. Ever since we moved he has become territorial about our little apartment. I cannot afford another cat anyway right now, and if I do get another pet, I will most likely get a pet rat. Don't knock them, they are smart animals and playful and can be trained to get along with cats. Odd has been getting lots of good attention. He is usually so excited to see me when i come home he forgets to eat right away, lol. By the time I am ready for bed he is more than ready to snuggle up beside me for few hours at least. he is sitting beside me as I answer these,!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It's funny you should mention the clothing thing. I have been doing that and come home to the items covered in his fur. Especially comforting seem to be my sweatshirts and a blanket I recently knitted. He can't leave it alone. He adjusted to moving here, he can adjust to me working part time, lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Cat Addict

I agree, he will adjust. I have most of my cats trained that night time is for sleeping, which of course, goes against their nature, them being nocturnal, but I've trained them. 3 of them sleep put up in bedrooms at night, and one has the run of the house, because she can't be around the others (because she is a super-meanie), and the ones put up, they pretty much sleep all night. Occasionally the youngest one will cry shortly before we wake up, which we get up at 5:30 AM, but for the most part, he sleeps. Your kitty will adjust. You are right, they do NOT like change. They like routine. Your kitty just has to learn the new routine. Did this kitty sleep during the night before, when you were there? If he did, he'll probably still do that. He'll get used to what times you are there, and he'll adjust. Don't feel guilty. Like you said, you have to keep him fed and sheltered. My 21 year old daughter has a 2 year old cat that acts like he is going to die every time she leaves for school or work. She got him when he was very small, and he went right from his mom to her, and he thinks she is his mom. I have never seen a cat so bonded to their owner. It is traumatic every time she leaves him, but she has to pay the bills too, and this spoiled little boy has adjusted.

I'm betting you will be getting lots of purrs and snuggles from him every time you come home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page