Cats and crock pots? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Cats and crock pots?

On work nights I love to have something hot waiting for me when I get home. I put something in the crock pot in the evening, then when I get home at 1:00 a.m. VOILA!

And Robin's been really good at leaving the crock pot alone during the hours when I'm at work. But...is this too great a temptation? He does get tantalized by the smells and I've seen him give it a ledge-ward tug. I'm not TOO worried about spills. But the electrical hazard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Cat Addict

I don't ever remember any of my cats doing anything to a crock pot before. Now that you mention it. I have seen them give it a cursory sniff though. I guess if I was really worried about it, I could always put it in a room I could shut the door on. Though they may be MORE curios about a closed door. There would be no worries on them pushing over a hot crock pot, or puling on the wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

I have not had any problems with the cats and the crockpot. If you have any concerns about Robin biting the cord, you could use some Bitter Apple spray or even some hot sauce on the cord to discourage biting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Premier Cat

I was worried about this with Neelix so for the first few months I only used it when I was home (weekends).

They all seem to be careful and seem to realize it's too hot to mess with.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 AM
Tom Cat

Can you put it in a room by itself at all? For me I'd be able to use either of my bathrooms. Laundry room could work but for us it's the litter box room.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Cat

I use mine all the time and my three kitties generally leave it alone. Even my notorious cord-chewer leaves it alone. They only seem interested in it when I'm actively putting things into it. Once I leave it alone, they don't care anymore! They do sometimes stare at it if it's really cooking and the lid is making bubbling noises, but staring is all they do. I know they can sense the heat coming off of it, so I'm thinking that keeps them away.

Mine is so heavy I can't really imagine them being able to push/pull it off the counter... I would just make sure it's as far away from the edge of your counter as possible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Cat Addict

Stephano is my pig cat, and even he seems to resist the crock pot. I used to worry about it, but he's never done anything. But it is something that I think about too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I came home one night and thought something smelled a bit strange when I walked in the house. Someone added catnip, a furry mouse and some feathers from Da Bird to the lovely pork roast.

I don't use my crock pot anymore.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I came home one night and thought something smelled a bit strange when I walked in the house. Someone added catnip, a furry mouse and some feathers from Da Bird to the lovely pork roast.

I don't use my crock pot anymore.
LMBO!!!! That is so funny!!! Sounds like they had better ideas for what should have been in that crock pot. That is too funny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page