Water tipping kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Water tipping kitten

Hi everyone,
I have an 8 month old kitten that LOVES water. I never expected a problem like this since my 3 year old cat wants nothing to do with it.
Reese (the kitten) will sit on the edge of the sink and/or shower and watch the water and play with the drips. But the problem comes with the water bowl!
He is a digger when it comes to water--he has to test it first before he will drink it (or he just likes to play with it).
Problem is that he is getting bigger and he is now tipping over and dragging around our two gravity waterers. I am finding huge puddles and tipped water daily.
How can I work around this? What can I buy (lower budget) to prevent tipping!?
I was thinking of a fountain because he obviously likes running water but it makes my fiancÚ nervous that they need plugged into an electrical outlet. I'm worried about the price of the fountain. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Premier Cat

Catit Design Senses Drinking Fountain, 100-oz

I don't think he can tip that...that's 100 oz of water, or 3 L and it's taller than your typical bowl. Guess you can read the reviews and decide for yourself.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's plastic, but if you go stainless steel, it'll definitely be a lot heftier price. I've been eyeballing this one for a while: Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel Drinking Fountain Raindrop Design, 60-oz

I think I may get it this summer though. My cats don't eat any kibble, so I'm in no rush to get it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Premier Cat

Water tipping kitten

My water loving kittens haven't tipped the fountain yet....but we can't plug it in nor put much water in it....it all usually ends up dug out on the floor. Nothing has worked here yet to prevent the water digging.....but using a bowl with some clean (disinfected) plant 'rocks' in the bottom keep them from being tipped.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.

Last edited by Mochas Mommy; 02-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Premier Cat

For my foster room I bought a large ceramic dog bowl - I think it weighs 5 pounds by itself! It has multicolor paw prints on it. It is flat on the bottom and at least 8" across. I have a plastic tray underneath it with a 1/2" lip all around to catch dribbles from them playing near or in it. I don't think a day goes by that someone doesn't play in the water - either intentionally or they fall partly in it while playing. Some days the tray is soaked.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Ok, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I think I may go to Petco and browse the shelves to see what I can find. I will look for a heavy fountain or dog bowl. Preferably a fountain since he loves running water from the sink so much.
I might even try putting rocks in the bottom or buy one with a pattern so that hopefully it will help him see the bottom and not dig as much. We'll see what I can find!
Any more suggestions are welcome! It's always something with the kitties..gotta love them
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Cat Addict

Doran did this when he was a kitten - he still makes a puddle to splash in occasionally, but not as often.

Getting a fountain worked wonders for him - but don't put it on a ledge! When I first got the fountain I put it on the bottom level of a cabinet in our kitchen, it was about 1/2 an inch off the floor and Doran would wiggle his whole body behind the fountain and shove it forward. It'd tilt the fountain and flood the kitchen, and then Doran would have a nice little beach party, lol.

With the fountain on a flat surface it's much harder for him to make a mess - I got a BIG fountain too, he was still pushing around the little one, but without making much mess. This is the one we have now, and I love it.

TBH he still can't have a regular water bowl, and he's 6 now...so I wouldn't' expect it to change too much
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
oms
Jr. Cat

Good to know! Thanks
I'm lucky enough to know the barn cat mother of my kitten. Well she is more like a tack room cat lol. She hasn't really left the tack room once she was spayed...she moved right in and made herself at home. But my Reese has all the same quirks as his mother! His mother still paws in her water bowl.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Kitten

Cats + water =fun??

How do I get Jazz to stop playing with her water bowl?

She splashes the water all over the floor and waits for us to slip. She randomly drops pieces of cat food in her water and then refuses to drink it. I ditched the small water bowl months ago because I realized it was too easy for her to completely knock over. So I got one of those self refilling ones..with the water in a tank so to speak. But, alas, she is knocking that down too now!

I also catch her drinking our dog Eliza's water, trying to play in the toliets or sinks and after baths she always dashes in the bathroom to check out the drain.

When giving her baths I noticed she will play a little in the tub, I am usually rushing/scared she will make a run for it so I haven't let her have much time to explore but maybe my cat just likes water?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 AM
Premier Cat

Some kitties do like water, and even the ones who don't actually want to get wet seem fascinated by running water. My kitty who passed away recently loved to walk between the shower curtain and liner while I was taking a shower, but if I got a drop of water on her head, she ran away like she'd been electrocuted.

How old is Jazz?

You could put a small area rug under the water bowl or one of those super absorbent bath mats to contain the splashing (and it'll give you some traction too ). Is she dropping pieces of food into the water, or is she sort of eating and drinking at the same time? If her food and water bowls are close together, maybe moving them farther apart will solve this issue.

Maybe if you provide her an alternative for a water play site, she'll leave her water bowl alone - or maybe she'll just splash water in two places instead of one...

I used to keep a litterbox filled with water and put non-furry toys in it. My first cat loved to try to paw them out. I just put a big old towel underneath. Now I keep a very large Pyrex baking dish filled with water. Since my kitty is a little old lady now, I don't put stuff in there for her to fish out, but sometimes she likes to stick her whole foreleg in there and then lick the water off. I think that when the sun shines on it, there must be reflections, so she's trying to get something in the water.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Premier Cat

My kittens love water as well. Luna,especially, has to play with her water before drinking. I have an absorbent pad under their water dishes....and they are all in out if the way placed now. (Who says a cat can't teach a human!). Because she puts her paws in the water so much, we don't fill the bowls....less to spill....just have to keep an eye on them to refill a couple times a day.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page