Cat Tree - the real version - looking for input - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat Tree - the real version - looking for input

Cats scratch, there is just no way around it (De-clawing is out of the question for me.)

However, that said, my couches are looking pretty rough, lol. One has already been reupholstered once. I'll keep doing it if I have to, but I am looking to give them alternative targets they might appreciate and actually use.

I am actually thinking about securely bolting some real tree/log sections into the floors/walls in my house for the cats. Something sturdy they can climb and scratch on. My biggest question is whether they will actually use it, or if I will do all the work, and it will just get ignored.

At first I was thinking about just purchasing a cat tower/tree of the upholstered variety, but the husband raised a point I have not thought about before.

We want to discourage upholstery scratching/clawing. By providing an upholstered surface as an acceptable target, we may be sending mixed messages. My thoughts are that providing a real tree trunk as a natural 'target' will hopefully give them something they can use to scratch on, and maybe not have to replace/reupholster couches as often.

As some food for thought, many zoos that house felines are REQUIRED by regulations to provide such things for ALL their felines. Most zoos use logs or tree trunks. (something to look for next time you visit!)

Has anyone done this with real logs before?

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
-Aesop-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't want the mess of a real log or tree trunk in my house.

My girls have sisal scratchers or the cardboard kind, never "carpet" material. I have the cardboard ones in every room, near my furniture. My girls love them, and even sleep on them. I always have to buy three at a time, because each one gets claimed by someone the minute I put it down.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Cat Addict

I have a carpet cat tree, carpet tall scratch post, some sisal low scratch thing and I bought a round toy that has a cardboard type scratcher in the middle. They love that the best. And my cats go out so they can scratch out there on trees and my wood fence. Still every now and then they will scratch the sofa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Premier Cat

I think that is a terrific idea! Just be sure and let the branches dry out thoroughly for quite a while (like over the winter and spring) so that they shrink as much as possible. If you have any kind of branches that has smooth bark on them they should really love that (like crepe myrtle trees).

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I don't mine a little mess. Easier to vacuum a few times than reupholster, lol.

I'll have to see what I can get. We have a maple that needs some very serious pruning in the spring. It's kind of intermediate for texture.

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
-Aesop-
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I also have two of these scratchers, my girls LOVE them.

I buy these, but take them out and lay them flat.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Last edited by marie73; 02-13-2015 at 03:34 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Premier Cat

It wouldn't do much for scratching, you'd still need a cardboard of sisal but for cat trees.. I *LOVE* this and would kill to have it in my house for them to climb on.
Twisted Juniper Cat Tree – Part 1 – Base | Lax Cat Creations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page