Kitten chasing 5 year old cat. Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitten chasing 5 year old cat. Help!

The kitten does this a LOT. Jazzy now growls when The kitten gets close to her. Hiss too.Also, The kitten will jump up where she is & scares her. When Jazzy has food she runs towards her.

What do i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Premier Cat

How old is the kitten? That Jazzy is only growling and hissing, isn't necessarily a bad thing! She's trying to teach the kitten some manners! There may be a point Jazzy "Bops" the kitten a few times! The one thing you can do, is keep Jazzy's nails trimmed shorter for a while, also trim the kittens claws!
Hope other's have more ideas for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 AM
Premier Cat

Well, you could put in some hard core interactive play with your kitten several times a day. Any wand toy with a mouse or feather attachment that drives your kitten wild will work. Or a laser. The kitten will just have endless amounts of energy, it's normal! But the more time you spend on draining some of that energy, the less likely your older cat will be stressed out. Feed your kitten small meals after a work out so he/she would also be more inclined to sleep after eating, too.

If you don't have a very tall cat tree, it may be a good idea to get one now, or simply add more vertical space for your older kitty, so that way the kitten is less likely to do "sneak attacks". Adding a kitten collar with a bell would also help. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Tom Cat

Putting a bell on the kitten is a very good idea. Works on many different levels, including for humans, since little kittens tend to get into small dark spaces that you didn't even know existed until you have to follow the sound of the bell in order to fish them out.

There is a six year difference between my two cats and they behaved exactly like yours do now. It is completely normal and rather essential for little Kitten to learn some general cat etiquette.
Like Tabbcatt suggested, making sure your older cats has a few high spots to "hide" in should help keep the peace.
I took my kitten to the office with me to allow my older cat some peace and quiet when she was still very young and she eventually grew out of her constant chasing phase.
They now get on like a house on fire with playful moments and lots of mutual respect.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Cat Addict

I think this is very common, at least I have seen in a few instances with family and friends. My sister's kitten would run up and tackle her older cat, and he would growl and back away, but he never did anything. What 10cats said, it will probably teach little one some manners....lets hope

I do think one thing you can do that your older cat will LOVE you for, put the kitten up in a room away from your other cat. Kitten will cry for a bit, but if you do this, they will eventually learn to sleep at night, or, they will learn that they have to contain it to that one room. This will help you sleep and your older cat. And also, give your older cat breaks from the kitten by putting the kitten up for some time outs. Your older kitty will LOVE you for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page