Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essences - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essences

Noodles was supposed to go to the vet today and of course once again we did everything and anything to get him in the carrier and no luck. Has anyone had any luck with the Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essences and if so, what is a recommended one for cats that just refuse (and I mean refuse) to go into their carriers. And do these essences really work at the end of the day? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

I tried Spirit Essences many years ago for Kobi when he was bullying Callie. No help at all. I'd be inclined to try Feliway before SE. But even then I doubt you have success unless you start working with the cat to train him to go in the carrier. Lots of articles to read if you google "train cat carrier".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Premier Cat

Leave the carrier on the floor with door open, and feed all treats and meals in the carrier. In the beginning make the treats especially yummy, like little bits of cheese or roast chicken. Leave no food available for free feeding. This is what you need to do to train him to like his carrier.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Cat Addict

I've used Jackson Galaxy's Essences, and I've found them to be so-so. They worked some of the time, but more often than not, they weren't as effective as I'd liked them to be. And like doodlebug mentioned, Feliway is another option, but again, it can be so-so in it's workings.

I agree with catloverami...let the cat get used to the carrier by doing the things they love most...meal times, play times (roll a toy into the carrier, it's like a cave they can't resist!), and of course treats! You may find that kitty even likes sleeping in there once they get used to it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

The issue with Noodles is he loves this new carrier and does go in it and does sleep in it (on his time). However, when it comes time to take him to the vet, he senses it is time to go out of the house so then of course he resists. He goes in the carrier only when he wants to.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Kitten

I have tried them with my cats and really had no effect.

I find when getting cats into carriers. If you can sit the carrier upright with the opening towards the ceiling and holding the cat with the nap of the neck and put them in that way - they are less resistant because they can not see the carrier.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page