Cat steps on poo inside litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat steps on poo inside litter box

Hi Guys,

My cute 6 months old cat was left alone by his mother when he was about a month old or even less so he doesn't really know how to keep clean..

He sometimes steps on his poo inside the litter box, probably while trying to cover it, then smears it accidentally on the floor.
His box is kept clean in a quiet place and we think he's just being clumsy or doesn't know how to cover his poo properly.
Other than that, he digs kinda violently, throwing the sand outside the litter box and sometimes even throwing poo at the wall while covering/ digging so we need to clean the wall as well

We're not sure what to do and how to teach him to be clean, he also doesn't clean his paws after using the box so we're a bit worried when he climbs on the dinning table or sofa.. and in a few months - a baby in its baby crib

Any idea is most welcome thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm. What size is his current litter box? Maybe a larger box will help prevent him from stepping in it? I use a larger storage box with high sides. Many use a rubbermaid, but I'm in the minority with a sterilite container. My young cats easily jump in/out of it without issues, but if you have older cats, the rubbermaid containers are easier to cut a "door". You can google our website for those pics. It's posted pretty often here, good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks TabbCatt!

He has a fairly large litter box, I'd say it's larger than 2 feet in length.. it's the big closed box with a filter at the top and a door at the front.
He's also still pretty tiny

We took out the door because he was scared of it and didn't want to go inside so the front of the box is open.
If the door was there the poo and sand would probably stay inside but he would still be stepping on his poo while trying to cover it.

Maybe we use too much sand?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page