Play fight or real fight? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Play fight or real fight?

Hi everyone!
Last week I adopted a 8 weeks old kitten named Lily. I already have a cat, a 10 months old spayed male cat, Billy.
I kept Lily in a separate room for 2 days, did the smell interchange technic. Rubbing a towel on Billy, than at Lily, and back to Billy.
The first day I left than together Billy hissed at her every time he saw her. They couldn't share the same room.
As time went by, Billy started to hiss less, and eventually got to the point where he wouldn't hiss at her anymore. They even sleept inches away from each other (but no contact).
But then, as I started to think everything was going great, the fights started! At first, they would both lie on the floor and gently paw each other's paw, sometimes Billy would hit her in the face when Lily got to close, but nothing serious. Days went by and they started to fight harder and harder,until the point where we are today.
I'm not sure if they are comfortable enough to really play fight, or if Billy realised that Lily can do him no harm and decided to really hurt her or even kill her.
One strange thing is that sometimes when Billy is eating, Lily for some reason decides to eat from Billy's bowl, and to my surprise he doesn't bother at all. He shows no sign of agression, no hissing, no slap to the face, nothing! He just steps aside and let her eat his food. Isn't that odd?
Here is two attached videos of their fights so you guys can tell what is going on.

http://youtu.be/X4aNM_YCA78

http://youtu.be/80K9f27L-LY

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

Awww! Soooooooo cuuuuuuute! Love it when kitties do that, Lily is so adorable and funny, especially when she jumps up and "dares" Billy! Lol.

Obviously, from my reaction, it's play fight. Especially that Lily keeps coming back to Billy. And it's good, because your 8 week old will learn it's not nice to bite or claw their humans for play (as long as you don't play with your hands on her). Billy will teach her that, so it's all good!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Cat Addict

I'm with TabbCatt thats its play. Their games always look so rough, but if you watch the video Billy steps away after each "rough up" which would give Lily time to take flight, he is giving her time to re position to make the game more fun IMO. Even with the biting if he meant business there would be loads of noise and he would not be letting go so easily. I cannot tell you the number of times I have stopped my gilrs thinking it was too rough and then got looks of indignation that I spoilt a great game. As they are still new together, I would still monitor play and when you are not home or sleeping then keep Lily in her safe room ( I am sure you aready do this) for a while longer until you are totally sure they can be together 24/7, Right now it lookslike a great friendship forming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Premier Cat

That is play! TRUST me, there would be no doubt in your mind that if that was a real knock down drag out fight! I really didn't need to see the videos to know what it was when you said "One strange thing is that sometimes when Billy is eating, Lily for some reason decides to eat from Billy's bowl, and to my surprise he doesn't bother at all. He shows no sign of agression, no hissing, no slap to the face, nothing! He just steps aside and let her eat his food. Isn't that odd?"

That one statement told me they like each other. You have nothing to worry about here! You may even hear screaming once in awhile but just ignore it, that is how they communicate that something might be a little too rough. I wouldn't worry about a thing and I don't think I would even worry about keeping them separate at all, but that is just my opinion.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Cat Addict

Definitely play fighting. They will be fine.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks guys for giving me some peace of mind!
It was really nerve racking to see them fight, but now I know it's all good
By the way I don't keep them separated anymore.
This forum is awesome!

Cya!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

#1 play fighting...."hey, I'm the boss around here you little twerp! Ha! putting your ears back doesn't scare me. Oh little tough guy, eh? going to stand up to me? OK, we'll just play peekaboo behind the curtain."

#2 Billy is dominating Lily to show her he's the boss cat. She's accepting that fact by lying submissively on her back, even tho he's taking little nips at her, but also little licks as if to say....."see, I'm a good boy. OK enough of that" and then he walks away.

Lily's not making bloodthirsty squeals, so no harm's being done and she's not getting hurt.
They're both adorable by the way....love the contrast between the two... Billy's bold coloring and Lily's soft coloring.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Cat Addict

Looks play to me - and a lot gentler than my dreaded twins! LOL!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello everyone!
Lily, Billy and I are very thankful for all your help
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Cat Addict

Awwww.. adorable.

Glad people can help! That is definitely play. Like others have said. If it wasn't you would know. The curdling screams would make your hair stand up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page