My cats are bored - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question My cats are bored

Hey, I have 4 cats. 1 is a mom and the rest are her female kittens.

I recently moved to Canada from a hot climate country and my cats loved that climate. They love playing in the backyard in Canada too, but only when its good weather. They are indoor cats, they dont stay out.

So right now its winter and they are bored of their mind which results in fights. I feel sad for them, what is something I can get or do that will make them happy?

The kittens are 4 years old each and the mom is 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Cat Addict

Mine love toys and will play together with some of them (they like ones we play with with them and ones we just leave out) and they love ANYTHING that involves catnip. Do you have a cat tower? Or try a crinkly tunnel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 AM
Premier Cat

Having a cat tree/several perches/cat beds by a large picture window and placing some bird feeder outside could help them pass some time.

If they have any interest with interactive toys like wand teasers, your best bet is "da bird" or neko flies. Swapping the lure end of the teaser every now and then really helps retain their interest, too. Make sure you play with them until they are literally panting and must lie on their side and cannot run anymore.

If your kitties are smart, I'd suggest some puzzle toys when you feed them or give them their snack. Here are some ideas:
Puzzle Toys for Cats

Hope this helps, it should tire them (physically or mentally) and be less likely to squabble with each other, I hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you guys, will look into it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 AM
Cat Addict

You could also get a cat tunnel for them to play hide n seek if they like that type of play. We also have a thing called cats meow where it looks like a mouse is hiding uner the material. It's a bit noisy but ooh the girls love this and sit each side. They also like ball tracker with the sparkly balls we also occasionally use the you tube videos for cats which fascinates my eldest girl
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Premier Cat

Your cats are 4 and 6. Almost none of my adult cats play much any more, preferring to spend their days sight seeing out of a window or snoozing in front of the fire or on a particularly comfy portion of the couch, bed or clean laundry pile. The ones that DO play enjoy the laser pointer and Da Bird and that's it.....even those are limited.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
Having a cat tree/several perches/cat beds by a large picture window and placing some bird feeder outside could help them pass some time.
I second this. Try multiple windows for cat trees/perches, so that they're not all trying to occupy the same space. I spread my cat trees all over my house, at different windows, so that each cat can curl up in the sun and/or watch the birds, while having 'alone time' from the other cats.

I also have quite a few interactive toys and catnip toys, which all of my cats love and will play with on their own.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Your cats are 4 and 6. Almost none of my adult cats play much any more,
Lol Marcia, I think my kitties didn't get the "calm down now - you're adults for heaven's sake" memo!

Jitzu doesn't play much, but the boys (6 yrs) are always up to something! Muffin in particular lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrun View Post
I second this. Try multiple windows for cat trees/perches,.
Perches are great, they all love watching out the windows. We have a toy bin in the living room and the boys will dig through it and pull out what they want. All the toys go back in once a week and the process of seeding he house with cat toys begins anew.

We also got an automatic laser pointer, which is a lifesaver! When Muffin is being a brat (chasing his sisters, biting Doran too hard, knocking things over, etc) we just turn on his light and the problem is solved. (

)

Recently I made a very advanced cat toy...it's a cardboard box with some holes cut in it and a wand toy shoved through the roof and one side. I used duct tape to reinforce the box (so Muffin can sit on it without squashing the box...) and to hold the wand toy in place. It's been keeping both boys very busy.

They also get many re-purposed items as toys: bottle caps (Doran), plastic milk rings (Muffin), cardboard boxes (all the time...all four cats are interested), bits of paper or plastic, practice crochet pieces, etc. Basically things get boring after about a week, so we throw out all the bits of junk I give them, and they get 'new' junk every other day or so.

Last edited by marie73; 04-12-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page