I need someone to analyse the situation! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I need someone to analyse the situation!

So here is the story.

My mother and i have been letting Simba outside during the day/night for 10-30 minute sessions so she can explore the outside world. However, my neighbour also has a cat. And that cat is huge, full size. My kitten looks tiny next to it. Anyway today was the first time they both got near eachother with no wall in the way.

Suprisingly the neighbours cat would run away a few meters when Simba would run up to him. I found this kind of odd. But here is another thing. Whenever Simba would look away from the neighbour cat, the neighbours cat would run after little Simba. I dont know if its to play or to kill.. Also whenever a small pole would get in the way of them both the large cat would swipe at simba. There was minor hissing during this time period and both cats got pretty close to eachother with no severe conflict.

IS IT SAFE? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Last edited by marie73; 02-20-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Premier Cat

Cats don't set out to kill each other. Cause harm, yes, but this actually sounds like play to me because you would hear growling, screaming and posturing if it wasn't. Both would square off with hackles raised if it was not play. The kitten may do this in play fighting, but adults recognize it as play and will engage them. I'm guessing (without seeing a video) that it is all in fun. Glad baby has a playmate but do not assume he is fixed. If your kitten is female, get her fixed asap - at least by 5 months.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Cat Addict

Totally and utterly agree with Marcia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hey Marcia what exactly do you mean by fixed? Also are you completely sure its just play? They got pretty close and just stared at eachother at one point. I think im extremely paranoid haha
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Tom Cat

Marcia means neutered.
Don't assume the neighbour's cat is neutered and then neglect to have Simba spayed by the time she's 5 months old (if she's not spayed already) or else you may have a pregnant Simba on your hands before you can blink.

Its natural for you to be overprotective of your kitten when she's out and about. But adult cats very rarely behave aggressively towards small kittens especially when they encounter them outside. They are more curious than anything else.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hey guys, thank you so much for the replies.

No Simba isnt neutered but i will definitely make sure it happens. Is is the same thing as desexing? I just dont want to have an upset kitty. Also about the whole neighbour cat thingy. Here is a quick update. Both simba and the neighbour kitten got in contact again at the front of my house however this time a door was in between them and things were a little scary. The neighbours cat was hissing and growling. But they were pretty close unlike the distance they kept from eachother outside.

Thank you guys so much in advance. You are all the best at making me feel comfortable with the situation!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

I see from your initial post that Simba is only about 13 weeks now...has she had all of her vaccinations? If not and the fact that she hasn't been de-sexed, she really shouldn't be outside and exposed to other cats yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page