Sadly I must re- home one of my kittys - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sadly I must re- home one of my kittys

I have been trying everything I know to help my situation at home. I have three adult cats that range from 4 to 13 yrs old. I adopted two kittens 18 months ago.
The male -Boots- of course has been asserting his adolescence and trying to challenge for alpha position. My two 13 yrs olds put him in his place, but my 4 yr old was a bit feral when I got her and has always been a weak dominance cat. She is so sweet but has always had trust issues and hides alot.

Since I got the kittens she started to hide more the older Boots got. In the last 6 months I noticed I rarely saw her. When I did see her she was coming out of my closet, stopping at the threshold of the bedroom to look around before proceeding and then low crawls/runs out the door to get to the litter box which is on my screened in porch. If boots would see her he would chase her out the door and stand watch to block her coming in.

I would come home from work and find tuffs of her black hair on the closet floor. Very recently she has been so scared to leave the closet that she pooped and pee'd in there.

From Boots perspective I have increased his play time, given him more cat trees, tried walking him- which only stressed him out and caused a FTUDt flare and $500 worth of Vet bills. I have tried feliway, I have tried Jacksons spirit of essences, I tried treating him like the alpha...nothing has worked.

Everytime he see's her when I am around he immediately stops what he is doing, stares, and then goes for her.

As of this past week I have totally separated them. During the day I put her in the back bedroom with a litter box and food and water.
At night I bring her out and put him back there so they haven't crossed paths at all this week.

The result is that she actually slept with me the other night, is now sitting on my lap in the evening, and playing with the other two older cats. She feels safe with this remedy.

However, I don't feel it is right to have to lock her up in a room for 12 hrs when she was here first. For that reason, I have decided to re-home Boots.
IF any of you live in North Carolina and know of anyone who might want a 19 month old Black and White Tuxedo please let me know.

He is such a sweet boy, he jumps up into my arms, and he talks to me, he loves to be cuddled. He loves to listen to my guitar and trys to touch the strings as I play. I just feel he needs to be in a one cat home where he can receive all the love and attention.

Any further thoughts on what I could do I would appreciate any comments.

Sad Furr-baby Mom

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	81866  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Cat Addict

Ooh that's a tough decision. Did you try doing a full reintroduction between them as if the separation has helped maybe this could be an option. It would take time but possibly prevent having to rehome Boots. Jackson Galaxy has great advice on reintros.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Premier Cat

Apart from all the other things you have tried, have you tried to increase some vertical space with another cat tree, or some shelving on walls? This may help, but I rather doubt it as he seems very fixated on her and she's not standing up to him and likely won't ever because of her personality. Sometimes, things can't be fixed and don't turn out as we'd like. I had a bully cat once that made live miserable for his half sister that he hated. In retrospect I should have re-homed him, but couldn't bring myself to do this for a former show cat cat who I absolutely adored who had a delightful personality and gentle temperament except for this one cat. He was obsessed with her, and made her miserable for many years.....until he died at 15 and then she was a changed happy cat that lived on for another two plus years. It's your decision but it seems everyone would be happier if Boots were in another home, as you say as an only cat to have all the attention lavished on him. Living with a bully cat is stressful for everyone.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 02-22-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I rehomed a bully cat, and my only regret is that I waited so long. I tried for 1-1/2 years. Everyone is happier now, she's the only cat and is spoiled rotten. But just like Boots, she was the sweetest cat with me, ever, and it was one of the hardest things I've had to do.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page