Cat won't stop scratching my bed/door - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat won't stop scratching my bed/door

Hello all, So my girlfriend and I both wake up early for work around 5 a.m. and at that time we also fed our 2 year old cat Penny. So she is use to waking up early.

But the way my cat will wake is up is she comes up to the side of the bed and starts to scratch the side of the mattress so you here that clawing sound. After we feed her I thought it would stop but..... it doesn't. She comes back in the room at some point in the morning and If we are off of work that day and does it again and claws the mattress . Also, If we want to sleep sometimes we will close our bedroom door so she has the whole house to run around and do cat things..... But she will sit at the door for 1-2 hours clawing at it.

Some facts :
Penny gets fed wet food twice daily once 5/6 a.m. other 3/4 p.m. Also has dry food out all day.
Shes about 10-11 pounds.
She has a big scratching post which she uses about 5 times a day.
I play Laser dot with her and she has a ton of toys.

Someone help me! I like to sleep and I want my cat to let me sleep when I am off of work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Cat Addict

I feel for you. I have a cat who has driven me insane with this. My cat Beep, who is 12 now, the first few years we had her, she slept in the bathroom at night. I had a comfy bed and her litter box, and she was quite comfy. She loved curling up on the bathroom rug too. Yes, she did paw at the door for a while, but she did give in eventually. But at first, we had to put one of those cheap box fans, that are really loud, we put it near our bed so that we didn't hear her howling and scratching. It did get better. Once she knew the routine, that it was going to happen, she would give up faster.

One thing I saw on Jackson Galaxy's "My Cat from ****", he got an aerosol can that sprays just air, and it makes a kind of loud "psst" sound as it sprays, AND it was motion activated. He put it next to the door and as the cat approached the closed door, the can would go off, and the cat would back off. I don't know where you find such a can, but I'm sure if you google it, you can find one. Something similar that worked for me, my cat is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, and just keeping it right outside the door keeps her far away. We also have one of those air cleaners, the kind with a hepa filter, and it's pretty loud, and the cat doesn't like that either, so keeping that right by the door, keeps her away. You could try that.

You probably are not doing your cat any favors by keeping dry food out all day long. There is no need for that, it it will only lead to obesity which leads to all sorts of problems. We get up super early too, so our cats eat at 5:30 am, and at 4:00 pm, but they also get a bedtime snack around 9-10 pm. If you make that night time meal one of the bigger meals, she might sleep better, with a nice full gut. If she's been snacking all day long on the dry, she will be more likely to gobble down that large meal and then, like most cats, hopefully go curl up and go into a cat coma of sleep. This works for my most annoying cat, who is otherwise a party animal at night. Cats don't need to have food at their disposal 24/7, even though they will tell you otherwise, yes, they will STRONGLY protest and lead you to believe they are going to DIE without a bowl of food available whenever. But establishing mealtimes will give make it easier for you to get your cat on some sort of routine.

She is probably going to protest, scratch, cry, howl, and raise a huge ruckus if you do put her up, in a closed bedroom or bathroom at night, but if you do it regularly, and you do the bedtime meal, and you have the playtime with her in the evening to get some of that energy out of her, she will probably get better.

Good luck. I know what a pain it is to have a cat like this. We don't have to lock our little pain up anymore. She is 12 now, and now and then she will walk into our room at 3 am, crying loudly for us to get up, but if I completely ignore her, she will stop. That was another thing Jackson Galaxy said about this, is that ignoring them is the best thing you can do to to break them of this, and the worst thing you can do is chase after them, yell for them to stop, spray them with water, all of that will just make it worse.

Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried using double-sided tape where she scratches? Also, I keep those cardboard scratching pads near every piece of furniture I have, even my bed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Cat

I got this to feed the ferals in the wee morning. It's easy to program. You do a sample by setting it at 9 units and see how much comes out, increase it or decrease it based on how much you want to feed your cat. You can set up to 3 feedings per day. I removed the tray that it comes with and use a bigger tray so more ferals can eat from it. It's a life saver and they all know to come early and wait for the food to come out. This is just for mornings only or when I know it's going to rain, I set it for them in case I get home from work late. I bought 2 of these and loved it.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like Penny might be asking for attention because she's bored. Are her toys the kind that you bat around (like furry mice)? Some cats (like mine) aren't interested in those, but they will play with things like the ball in a circle (or on a track) or the squeaky mouse that hangs over a door or the peek-a-prize box. Rather than keeping dry food out, you could consider putting a few pieces of kibble or treats in a treat ball and leaving it out right before you go to bed - or on days you want to sleep in, after you feed her.

A tall cat tree near a window could keep her occupied too. Or...would you consider getting her a playmate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page