best way to introduce a new kitty to the resident kitties? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

best way to introduce a new kitty to the resident kitties?

I asked this in valentine's thread but I thought I might get more advice in another thread.
I'm picking up my rescue kitty tomorrow. the vet thinks she's 8--12 months. she's very petite but she has all her adult teeth. her foster says she is a bit shy at first but she has done pretty well with her 2 cats and 3 dogs. what I'm worried about is my 2 grouchy old men. one is about 9, the other 7.

I was going to adopt a really young kitten because I thought that would be less threatening to them but when I saw valentine's sweet face I changed my mind. maybe since she is a female that will help? I have 2 baby gates I use for my granddaughter so I could use those to keep them separated at first. or should I not do that and just let them work it out and see how it goes?
I wouldn't let them hurt her but I really doubt they would try. I'm just expecting a lot of hissing and dirty looks coming my way. should I get her a separate litter box? do cats go all nuts if a strange cat uses their litter box? I got both boys as kittens so that wasn't an issue.

my 7 y/o always sleeps on my bed so I'm expecting some rumbling if she jumps up there. hopefully everything will go smoothly and I'm worrying for nothing but I would appreciate any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:03 AM
Premier Cat

Hi ellag,

Oh boy. Your guess is as good as mine...I'm going to bring a new kitty in, and I'm not looking forward to all of the uncertainty and time this will involve.

There are several threads about how to introduce a new kitty - a forum search for slow introduction should bring up some helpful ones. As tempting as it is, just letting her out and seeing where the chips fall is probably not a great idea, in my opinion. If things don't work out, it might be hard to backtrack and undo any negative experiences.

But maybe others will have some success stories for you. At any rate, I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page