Proof Gypsy doesn't wait by the door! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Proof Gypsy doesn't wait by the door!

Does anyone else's cat react as though you were gone for *days* when you arrive back home, even if you were only gone for a few hours?

Well, my Gypsy does that to a ridiculous extent, I'll leave for maybe 4 hours, get back, and be accosted nearly immediately by meowing, head rubbing, in general acting starved for attention, as though she was waaaitting for me to get back, anxiously. This happens at least 4x a week.

So, a friend lent me, and set up, her nanny-cam style camera for me last week, to surveil Gypsy's daytime sleeping spot. Sure enough, the very first day, I was gone for 3 hours. Gypsy slept the *entire* time I was gone. Like, conked out before I left, and only moved to shift sleeping positions a few times. Then, the moment she heard the keys (or my steps, whatever), she perked up and sauntered casually out of the room, getting to the outside door moments after I stepped inside, and proceeded to put on her waiting-by-the-door-the-entire-time-you-were-gone act!

So, could there be some medical issue that could be causing this behavior? Or more just learned behavior, since I suppose I do always 'reward' her by picking her up and carrying her around for a bit (which she likes).

Does anyone else's cat do this also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Premier Cat

I think little Gypsy has you very well trained! She likes her reward when you get home. I think it is pretty adorable. My cats usually give me this half awake look from wherever they are napping when I come in the door.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, the reward of attention! My boy Zuba does the same thing, and my girl Alkee to a somewhat less extent.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Cat Addict

My cats are very emotionally dependent on me and suffer from separation anxiety. I think it's because they were strays before and because they don't have any other humans they're connected to and because they're still, after 3 years, afraid of each other. So I don't go out usually, except to work. When I come back the kitten is all over me and the ladies perk up in their armchair-beds..

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

This is what I've been telling people, cats sleep most of the day while we're gone

My girls are definitely all over me when I get home, but I can walk over to their usual sleeping places and feel the warmth from their bodies that JUST left! I'm not fooled!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Premier Cat

Most of my foster kittens act like this. When we had Seth and Sara in the foster room, they would stand on their hind legs with paws up in the air when they heard hubby coming up the stairs then go crazy with wanting attention - even though I was sitting right there! It was the cutest thing.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Cat

Haha, it doesn't surprise me really. Growing up, when we used to get home from school, my cat would always be either waiting in the drive way for us, or would be at the back door to come in within 5 minutes of us getting home. It made me feel loved, but really he just wanted to be fed I think
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Cat Addict

The occasional yawns as they greet me enthusiastically give them away. They're just waking up.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Cat

Oh yeah, this is definitely the routine in my house. My boy Puddle is at the door 95% of the time when I get home. Usually I can hear him meowing by the time I get into the garage. He acts like he hasn't seen me in forever and rolls all over the floor, squeaking and crying the whole time. I always pick him up and scritch him until I'm sure that he's gotten his fill of love. Then I go and find a big warm indentation on my bed, where he's been sleeping the entire time, with the girls. He just wants me to think that he was waiting by the door the whole time!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

My two always greet me at the door. If I come home from work, they see my car through the window which is located next to their cat tree and their favorite window sill bed. By the time I get out of my car, I no longer see them in the window looking out at me, but greet me at the door as soon as I open the door and the key jiggles in the knob. G especially purrs and rubs and wants to headbutt my face when I bend down to remove my shoes and proceeds to follow me and attempt to jump on my shoulders! Maya starts sniffing my footwear.

About 30 minutes later, it's zoom-around the house for 5 minutes and then feeding time!

Last edited by TabbCatt; 03-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page