Kittens are driving me crazy! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Kittens are driving me crazy!

We had two older cats, which was just fine with me, but my husband thought we needed a kitten. It took me a while to get on board but then I was up for a kitten. Then he said we should probably get 2 so they have a playmate. Okay. Then his mom said she had 5 barn kittens and would drive them out to us and we could pick from those. I told my husband to tell her just to bring the two we chose but he insisted she bring all five so we can get to know them and choose from there. Well of course, he falls in love with all 5 and wants to keep them all. So for the past 3 1/2 months we have had 5 kittens on top of the 2 adult cats. I love them, but it really is ridiculous. I can't relax in my own home because they are constantly running around or crawling on me. I can't sit and eat anything without them getting in my face. I can't go into the kitchen without being followed and having them crowd at my feet for something to eat. I can't go into the bathroom or bedroom to do anything without them wanting in. We usually lock them out of our bedroom at night, but still they are running around, meowing at the door or the older cats are growling and hissing at them. I have become very sleep deprived because of them. I sleep maybe 3-4 hours a night. Not to mention, my husband is now on 2nd shift so I wake up when he gets home and then wake up again when he comes to bed a few hours later and have a hard time getting back to sleep.

Is there any way I can get my sanity back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Cat

perhaps you can find good home for the kittens. Raising 5 kittens all at once is a very tough job.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna79 View Post
perhaps you can find good home for the kittens. Raising 5 kittens all at once is a very tough job.
Well that isn't an option. My husband would never let me give any away, and frankly, I've grown attached to them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

They're just being kittens. And, not to scare you, but my twins still act like that 7 years later.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Cat Addict

Oh my goodness! That's really quite something to go from 2 adults to 7 with 5 bursting with energy. Kittens look so cute but boy even one or two are a handful with the stuff they get up to. Do you have a spare room that you could make their room and make it really cat friendly with toys shelves trees and then maybe you can pop them in for a time to give yourself a break?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We do have a spare bedroom, which is where the litter boxes are, and that would be a great place for them to stay at night, but my husband put in a new door and it doesn't hang right so it doesn't close all the way. They can get out of there no problem.

Last edited by marie73; 02-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

As a former breeder, I well know what it's like to have ooddles of kittens around. Yes, hard to get things done, but they're so darn cute, that they're hard to resist. By all means, lock them in your spare bedroom. Get something really heavy to keep the door closed or get your hubby to re-hang it when he's got time. To this day my cats are only allowed to sleep with me for a nap, but at night they go to the basement. Otherwise, I would not havea good sleep, which I need to function well.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

I foster kittens and I know exactly what you mean. That is precisely why they have a room to themselves and spend many daytime hours and all night amongst themselves. Rarely do I let more than a few mingle with the rest of the family. Most I've had was 4 or 5 out and about and it about drove me crazy.

You need to either find a way to corral them for some lengths of time or live with this, because it's going to last for another couple years.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Cat Addict

Husbands!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, I understand, because my husband is the same way!!! This is why I have 4.....four cats!!!! All of them were strays, and we slowly acquired that many over the past 12 years and not all at once, but he falls madly in love with them and can't part from them either.

I gave in to our last little stray. She is the most perfect cat, adorable, total lap cat, doesn't scratch, uses the litter box, sleeps ALL night long....a dream cat. Would have been NO problem to find her a good home. Husband falls in love with her and says NO WAY, I can't part from her. Stephano, our little boy we found in the woods two years ago, same thing. He purred his way into all of our hearts, and at that point, I could have handled three. Yeah, I'm handling four, and it's all good now, because none of them are kittens, although Stephano was, and a wild man at that. I'd have gone insane with 5 kittens, uh-uh, no way! Yeah, that are just being kittens, totally normal, and it will get better. I suggest that if you are going to keep them, that during mealtimes, and maybe other times during the day, they are put up in a closed room, porch, somewhere, so that you can have some peace and quiet and the older kitties can have a break from the little monsters too, lol.

And my husband is all for keeping all of our cats, but then when it comes time to take them to the vet, he gets mad, and says "how did you spend that much money?" I just tell him, that's the way it is. If you are going to insist that we keep them all.....plus the one dog I have, who already has health issues and costs a fortune, then DO NOT get cheapo on me when it comes time that they need to go to the vet. Sorry buddy, but you don't get to pull that card on me, although he tries. Just remind your husband how much it costs, not only for the initial shots, spay/neuter, but as they get older, and if they get sick, hurt, need dental treatment, remind him that he better be prepared to be able to take them all to the vet. I need to constantly remind my husband of that.

If it were me, I would keep the two that you said you would keep, and find homes for the others. It does not mean that you don't love them, and yeah, you'll probably cry when they leave you. But take your time, find them not good homes, but the perfect homes, that will be their forever homes. Hopefully you can find friends and family, or friends of friends that you know are good to their animals, and they can be close, and you can keep in touch with them, maybe that will make hubby feel better.

My last stray, the perfect one, I tried and tried to get my sister in law to take her in, told her how perfect she was, but she would only take a declawed cat....not that she would declaw them, but she wanted one from a shelter that already was declawed. I warned her. Many of those declawed cats are thrown into shelters because they have litter box issues, and sure enough, hers did. Luckily, she is a good person and she is working with her and I think has it all under control, but she is now in love with my little girl that I tried so hard to get her to take, but she's ours now, forever

Good luck, however it works out. I say give those little babies a time out, or several, while you have some peace and quiet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page