Cupcake is still scratching up the furniture - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Post Cupcake is still scratching up the furniture

Cupcake has been scratching up my furniture lately so I got her a scratching post in hopes that she would use that to scratch instead. Well she still continues to scratch up the furniture even though she has a scratching post so I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on how to get her to use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Kitten

Have you tried double sided tape? Cats don't like the stickiness of the tape.
I did that for my kitten and it stopped her from scratching the furniture. You can buy it at pet stores. I bought mine at Petco.
For scratching posts maybe put some catnip on it. I did that for Jinx and it seemed to work. She uses her scratching posts.

Last edited by Cat Minion; 02-28-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added something
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Cat Addict

Try putting some cat nip on it. Some cats like the scratching posts, and some cats prefer the card board ones, the kind that they sit on and scratch. I have one cat that won't touch the vertical scratching posts, but loves the cardboard ones.

Squirt bottle and a firm NO. Make sure you always use one word, we use NO, and not just random yelling at them, they will never understand that, but if you use the same word when they are doing something wrong, they will learn faster. My one cat that does scratch, on occasion, we just had to put him up in a bedroom when we were not home to watch him. This particular cat knows that it's bad to scratch the couch, but he still does it, on occasion. It's funny, he seems to do it to get our attention. We say NO loudly, and he stops right away, but he will still do it if we are paying attention to one of the other cats. He's a little brat. When he was little, we had a squirt bottle with his name on it in every room. Now, we don't really have to use them, but we did when he was still young and learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Cat Addict

I meant to also say, do you have jsut a post or an actual cat tree? I think everybody needs a cat tree. They love them, they nap on them, and eventually they see how wonderful a scratch on the nice sisal post is.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'll try putting some double sided tape on the couch and I'll put some catnip on her scratching post, thank you both. If she still continues it I'll try that squirt bottle thing, admittedly we do spoil Cupcake quite a bit but she has to learn somehow! And I just have a post, I'll look into an actual cat tree though!

Last edited by Pookins4; 02-28-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Premier Cat

I'll just add that you might also try different materials. I had a cat that hated sisal; she only liked carpeted scratching posts. The other one likes sisal and ignores the carpeted ones.

Hence I have 3 trees and 3 scratching posts. If your scratching post isn't very tall, getting one that's tall enough for Cupcake to stretch her full body length might encourage her too, since kitties like to stretch as they scratch. The shortest one I have is 24"; the 30" ones are more popular at my house.

Oops, one more thing: I'd put the post near the place where she sleeps most often, so that it's natural for her to wake up and go for a stretch and scratch.

Last edited by spirite; 02-28-2015 at 10:38 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Cool Cat

I would try a variety of scratchers. Find the one your cat likes the most... for my cats, they LOVE the cardboard scratchers - they use them as napping spots and as scratchers. I find them really cheap at HomeGoods and Burlington Coat Factory in cool shapes and sizes, but they're available at a lot of places (Amazon, pet stores, etc). I have cardboard scratchers in every room, and I also have 2 cat trees by windows, as well as a crinkle tunnel and toys scattered about usually. With these to keep them busy, they never scratch my furniture! Ellie started the habit briefly when she was young, but after getting her favorite type of scratcher and cat trees to keep her busy, she stopped.

To give you an example,

shaped like a bed and

that's at an angle, good for the cat to get a good strech scratch in. My kitties have these, as well as a few others that are similar and they adore them. Sprinkle catnip on them and they go crazy!

It's natural for cats to scratch, so I wouldn't try a squirt bottle until you try more scratchers first. It's important to show and reward cats for what they CAN use, and works better than disciplining them for what they can't.

Last edited by Mandy and Ellie; 02-28-2015 at 11:44 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Cat

We attached al foil to the corners of our couches that the cats used to claw. They tend not to like the crinkling sound or the texture. You can just attach it with some sticky tape, then play with your cat on the new scratching post and it should help too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'll try getting her an actual cat tree and see how she does with that, then go from there to see about getting her different materials. Thank you!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

Pookins,
The other reason cats claw things, is to leave their scent there! Not only is the head, cheeks, and chin loaded with scent glands, but the pads on their feet are to!

So you also need a good "Scent Buster" to clean those areas up...
Nature's Miracle, or Fission, are a couple that pop into mind...

Use the catnip on the scratching posts, or cat tree, to draw them to where you want them to use, or hang out!
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page