What to do about "lampshades"... (cones of shame) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What to do about "lampshades"... (cones of shame)

Locke and Auri have just been neutered and spayed but they both aren't taking to the lampshades. They've never worn collars either.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make them more relaxed with the cones?

Apologies for the short post in, most likely, the wrong place but we're busy keeping an eye on our two wee rascals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Premier Cat

This wouldn't work for a male but for the spay victim:

I bought an infant onesi from Kmart for a few dollars. I cut off the arms and footies and made a bottom hole so he could use the litter box. He hated it, but he hated it less than the cone.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

The boy does not need a collar. The girl can get by with a 2x a day spray of DermaPlast or Bactine or some other antibacterial spray on the site. The object is to stop them from licking the spay site because the stitches are liquid based.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Cat

you can buy this inflatable collar for the female to keep her from licking. ProCollar Premium Inflatable Protective Collar at PETCO
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She bites at her stitches and tries to pull them out without the collar on.

They both did okay during the night which is a plus at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Update on the cones!

They're content to have them put on now and will wander around just fine. They're still getting used to not fitting in places they could before but they seem happy enough. Follow up appointment with the vet this weekend.

We take the cones off to allow them to eat easier and also allow them to clean themselves since they can't with the cones on. After they're done, the cones go back on.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Cat

The infant wrap works great. Our teeny Calico "Cali" got her surgery and she rubbed the cone off and opened her stitches, requiring a 3am late vet clinic visit.

My girlfriend got a big stretchy sock and cut leg holes and squished it over Cali, and she didn't like it but it prevented her from biting at the stitches. I actually thought that the sock was quite stylish, with the pleated neck of the sock looking like a turtleneck sweater, so I dubbed it the "Cat-herine Hepburn look".

So yeah, either an infant wrap for a larger cat or a thick sock for a small cat. Either works great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'll definitely keep that idea in mind for the future!

Stitches out on Friday - so excited!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Cat

My Chelsea wouldn't have any of these possibles. I was afraid she'd open her incision just trying to get them off. She didn't have any external stitches - they used that surgical glue instead; but she started nipping at the stuff the first evening so we ran out and got a can of the DermaPlast I learned about on here. It worked. Still had to keep a close eye on her but after the first couple of days she was ok. Keeping her less active was the hardest part since she's a little dynamo!! In our case, if the shelter had taken note that she did not have the green tatoo they put on cats to show they are spayed, we wouldn't have had to go through this. What a shock when she went into heat. We didn't know about the tatoo then though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page