do cats have road sense? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

do cats have road sense?

I am wondering do cats have road sense NOT to cross a main road because i know dogs dont as i seen a dog just run infront of a speeding car.
what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

No.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

Absolutely not! I see way to many cats, that haven't made it...:'(

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Premier Cat

I imagine some outdoor cats have more saavy than others... they have to or they get killed.

I know that my MowMow when out with me on his leash will not hesitate to walk right out into the road with cars coming. Only me holding him back with his leash/harness stop him from getting hit. He would *NEVER* be allowed out without me to keep him safe.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Cat Addict

No, not at all. If they see something the opposite side of the road they will just go for it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Premier Cat

When I was a young child, my next door neighbor had tons of stray cats coming and going on their property, including ours. Several were accidentally run over on our driveway by my dad. He never liked cats, sadly, but it was never intentional. I mean, he hated the clean up, can you imagine? And then tell the neighbor about it?

As much as there are cat lovers, you must know there are some folks that do not, or are aggravated by loose cats and or dogs, and some even mentally disturbed that take it out on our pets, especially ones that we let roam freely. It may be different to you in your country, though. Here, folks can simply just be mean, and not the cat's fault for being less than smart or quick about it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Some do, some don't...but even the ones that seem to often make a mistake, a fatal mistake.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Cat Addict

I don't think a cat has road sense unless they are close to hear the noise of the car or it coming at them. If I go over to talk to a neighbor my cat will cross the road. Luckily I live toward the end of a cul de sac (dead end).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Cool Cat

I think some do... but I've also seen cats that have good "road sense" get killed by a car after years and years of looking out for them... so it's never 100%. I think it's especially bad now that new hybrid/electric cars can be SO quiet that they may not hear or sense the car.

My past family cat, Sheba, was indoor/outdoor her entire life after we got her as a kitten from my aunt's farm. She ALWAYS looked both ways before crossing and wouldn't go if she sensed a car... which as a child I thought was fascinating. She lived to be 17, and even in her old age she would wait for cars. Although in her older age she didn't venture as far so road occurrences were low.

However, sometimes it doesn't matter how careful or how good of "road sense" cats have. I've seen some drivers purposely AIM for the cats, even if they're on the side of the road waiting or even on a curb/sidewalk. It's disgusting. I think that's how a lot of cats who were otherwise road savvy get hit...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Premier Cat

No they do not have road sense. Some that have lived outdoors all their lives MAY have a tad of sense to keep away from the street, but 90% of cats will meet a very, very unpleasant death when they decide to cross a road.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by marie73; 03-04-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page