Cat Forum banner

How to bond and keep kitten occupied

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jenny bf 
#1 ·
okay after my kittens neutering on 25th of march i plan on training him outdoors on a leash to get used to the area,now i am trying to bond with him and keep him occupied but he seems to be getting bored of his toys and just going back into his igloo.any suggestions?

#2 ·
Cats and kittens sleep a large amount of time during the day and at night. How much time do you reasonably think to spend with him?? I spend probably an hour of time total a day engaging with my furbabies. Usually less. At night we snuggle and during the days we go about our business.

#7 ·
I don't think this mouse is automatic I think is remote control. We have one. To be honest they get as much fun out of cat springs and tiny felt mice. It's about the hunt pounce more. You could try a ball tracker toy our youngest loves this or the mouse under the cover. Also use da bird when you have time to play with her. The best toy as well is a big high cat condo/tree so kitty can climb and jump and get up high and if placed well use it to see the world go by outside

#8 ·
Weirdly I just bought that hex bug thing last week. My two just stare at it, just like the video shows the kitties doing, no different. You want a toy that makes your cat chase, run, jump, pounce after it like it would a real prey. If you already have a wand/fishing pole type toy, you may need to invest in several different types of "lures" and switch them around to keep it interesting for your kitty. Multiple play sessions are always great, too. You don't need to go for 1 hour...15-20 minutes is usually enough, followed by their meals will put them right to grooming and sleep mode!

This vid shows "Da Bird", but I think they have one in the UK called "Flying Frenzy" and have multiple lures you can switch out. You need to make sure the cat gets an intense workout, btw, not some lazy twirling from your couch or standing in one place. I usually walk room to room and make my kitty leap and chase after their prey toys on sofas, behind corners, on beds, their cat trees, window sills, etc. I get a cardio workout too, in the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiswAJmg3rY

#11 ·
This vid shows "Da Bird", but I think they have one in the UK called "Flying Frenzy" and have multiple lures you can switch out. You need to make sure the cat gets an intense workout, btw, not some lazy twirling from your couch or standing in one place. I usually walk room to room and make my kitty leap and chase after their prey toys on sofas, behind corners, on beds, their cat trees, window sills, etc. I get a cardio workout too, in the end!
We do similar to Tabbcatt with all our wand toys by going room to romm and up and over things and I find it as much fun watching them jump around, stalking and pouncing as they do.

#9 ·
Almost any toy will lose it's allure after awhile. Rotating the toys you have will help keep their interest up. I have found that the best way to keep them engaged is with Da Bird or the laser toy (but that is just for my Coco and my kittens, all the others prefer to snooze or just sit there and be petted).

#10 ·
I found a large greenish yellow battery powered caterpillar in PetSmart.
It is from National Geographic cat toys. Price around $7..
Artie is tough to please with toys. He is fascinated with this one.

I did try the hex bugs, he was kind of afraid of them...lost interest very fast...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.