Ellie eating plastic and getting into things... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ellie eating plastic and getting into things...

I've noticed that ever since I stopped feeding the cats dry food, Ellie has been neurotic about being fed. She harasses me and meows constantly begging for food, even when I know she can't be hungry. For now, they're (Ellie and Tootsie) sharing a 3oz can in the morning, a 5.5oz can in the afternoon, and another 3oz can at night.

The issue is that I've caught her now three or four times with a plastic wrapper, ingesting it. One of the instances I got there in time to pull it out of her mouth (as she was trying to swallow it), but the other times I saw her gulp it down. The last time was this afternoon, she had a plastic wrapper from I don't even know what and swallowed it.

Usually when I see her eating things I find out she's raided the trash in the office or my makeup area in my bedroom (smaller trash cans she can get into). She's also woken me up in the morning, spilling over my makeup area trashcan and making a mess. The trash usually just consists of makeup wipes and the occasional wrappers from makeup products. I try to clean them out as much as possible, but she also will just find anything to get into, and I'm worried she's eating them.

Is this boredom? I know in the past, her dry food seemed like a comfort for her. When she got bored, she'd go nibble. Playtime isn't an issue here... her and Tootsie play like mad most of the day when they aren't sleeping. I think this is food-related boredom, I'm just not sure what to do about it.

I'm not sure what to do and am worried I'm going to have a cat with a blockage one of these days if she eats something bad. I'm already worried about the wrappers. I've been trying to keep everything really picked up (more than I already do, my apartment is usually spotless), but she just seems to find stuff and get herself into trouble. Any advice?

Thanks a lot everyone, I may just be a worry wart, but she's driving me crazy and also worrying me right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Cat Addict

How old is Ellie now? It's possible she's going through a growth spurt and actually IS hungry - it's worth considering for sure. The other thing that could be a factor is if she's actually getting her portion of the food.

Do you feed them on two plates so you can monitor which kitty is eating what?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ellie is about a year and a half old now. I feed them on one large plate, one on half on each side. This is the only way that works because if I put it in another bowl, they want to keep seeing eachothers. I have been worried about her not eating enough, since she can be picky, but I sit around and watch the majority of the time and they seem to each eat their own half. I've tried locking her up separately with her half, but she just doesn't eat it because she's all worked up about being locked in a room.

I'm wondering if she truly isn't eating enough? She seems much hungrier than Tootsie who is only 8 months old. Ellie is also so tiny - full grown she's only about 7lbs. The vet said this is normal, but she feels so small compared to my growing Tootsie who is already 8-9lbs.

Hmm...now I'm really worried I'm underfeeding them lol. Thanks for the help, librarychick!

Last edited by marie73; 03-04-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Cat

I too have a cat that will chew plastic bags, milk jug rings, and twist ties. I used to give her the milk rings to play with but after 10 minutes she would start chewing andveating them. Like having a toddler again, I have to make sure there is nothing laying around that she can chew/eat.

I think some cats just like to chew. Maybe for comfort or boredom.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Mandy,
Nope! You're not being 'just' a worry wart! These things, she's ingesting, could very well lead to blockages....very scary!
There is a possibility that she REALLY is hungry, like Librarychick brought up!
Even nothing else, maybe one of those treat dispensing toys would work (?) you could use freeze dried meat treats, maybe, so would still be healthy for her?
I am constantly on the lookout for anything, mine could ingest!
Good Luck and All Paws Crossed for her!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Premier Cat

She may be still hungry. My Cabbit is not big at all, he is almost nine years old and barely seven pounds and that boy can eat, a lot. Maybe she needs a little more food. Is she really active? She may be burning a lot of calories. She may still grow a little bit more. My Winston kept growing until about two (he is no particular breed) but was pretty skinny until he turned four and then he bulked up. Not fat but solid. So maybe Ellie is not quite finished growing. The plastic eating can be problematic, causing blockage or choking.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy and Ellie View Post
Ellie is about a year and a half old now. I feed them on one large plate, one on half on each side. This is the only way that works because if I put it in another bowl, they want to keep seeing eachothers. I have been worried about her not eating enough, since she can be picky, but I sit around and watch the majority of the time and they seem to each eat their own half. I've tried locking her up separately with her half, but she just doesn't eat it because she's all worked up about being locked in a room.
I'd start feeding them separately. She will make a fuss about it the first few times, but she'll get over it when she gets hungry. Just put her in the room for about 1/2 hour, she'll fuss for 20 minutes or so, but then she'll go eat. Especially when she gets used to the routine.

Quote:
I'm wondering if she truly isn't eating enough? She seems much hungrier than Tootsie who is only 8 months old. Ellie is also so tiny - full grown she's only about 7lbs. The vet said this is normal, but she feels so small compared to my growing Tootsie who is already 8-9lbs.
I wouldn't bet on her being full grown either. IME cats go through a few growth spurts, although less dramatic than the ones in their first year, right up until they're 3 years old.

In any case, you want to be checking if they're getting enough food by body condition, not weight. I've attached a chart to help out, but with fluffy cats it'll take some guess-work from you as well.

http://lasvegaspetweightloss.com/wp-...ight-chart.png

To check Ellie from above stand behind her, when she's standing up. Use your hands to pat down the fluff so you can get a better idea of where her waist is and what it's like in comparison to the rest of her. It's true that she may just be tiny - Torri is 7 years old and ranges from 6.5-7 lbs. That's her healthy size.

If you find out she's too skinny and you can feel hip bones prominently then you definitely need to up her food. If she's tricking you and using her fur to hide a bit of extra padding...then you're doing just fine AND there's another cause behind her vacuum-habits.

Quote:
Hmm...now I'm really worried I'm underfeeding them lol. Thanks for the help, librarychick!
Glad to help. I accept payment in cute kitty pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page