Maya x 3 pairs of my socks - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Maya x 3 pairs of my socks

It's bad enough I've got G with pica, now I've got to deal with Maya's obsession on my wool socks. She scratches them and as it catches on her paws, the threads come loose because she tugs them, sort of like using it like a scratcher. She did this when I was sound asleep, found this earlier this morning next to my bed. She doesn't sleep in the bedroom with me, but now I've got to hide my socks away from her! She has ruined 3 pairs as of right now, seen in the photos below. Sigh.

Anyone else's kitty does this? She also does this to my towels, so I have to hang towels up high out of her reach, or close the bathroom door.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/Ta...slideshow/Misc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Premier Cat

Winston will chew holes in socks. Mostly my husband's. Have no idea why but 90 percent of the time it is my husband's socks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

LOL Jetlaya! Your husband must be thrilled about that!

I've no holes yet, but I'm planning on trimming those socks with a pair of scissors to make it salvageable. Hopefully I won't get holes in those too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:39 AM
Cat

That's too funny Yes understandably annoying at the same time.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Cat Addict

not the sock issue but yes I have towels like it inc a new set, put out twice in the guest bathroom and now shredded on both handtowels and all my floor bathmats have tekn a battering as they make 'toys' to use push into rolls and use as kickers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Premier Cat

My kitties never did that on purpose - Margaux ripped up two slipcovers, because she couldn't see to get up on the loveseat - and also because I didn't keep her claws trimmed.

Yep, definitely frustrating! She must like the way her claws dig into them. Maybe you could take one that's beyond help, put a little catnip in it and sew it up? Or there are some toys that are made of wool - maybe you can find one with the right texture for her?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Tom Cat

I am a huge sock nut so seeing those pretty socks were sad for me. I've had this done to sweaters but never my socks. They have taken them away and hid them from me but they don't claw or bite them. However, my one cat does bite and lick any natural fur item. My hubby's cashmere sweater is her favorite but I also have a fuzzy hat she likes (which I think is wool).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Premier Cat

TC,
Those were pretty socks! I guess you can just use them as 'house socks' now!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Cool Cat

Socks are cheaper than new phone cords or headphones, which are Galileo's favourite things to destroy. I always keep my headphones in my purse or my gym bag, but you can't really put your phone cord away when it's plugged in, charging your phone.

Expense aside, I wouldn't be especially pleased to find a favourite pair of socks ripped to bits either. Choco-cat steals pairs of socks and runs around with them while "yodeling", which is hilarious! She's always been more interested in stealing the socks and running around with them or stashing them somewhere than wrecking them though.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Luckily, my socks are still usable after snipping off all those straggling threads. I normally wear long pants and covered shoes (except at home) so no one would really notice them anyway. I got these socks in December so they were sort of new, and were of pretty good quality--wool socks are not usually cheap, and I sometimes have a tiny bit of a challenge finding socks of the right size, so it was frustrating to find it in the condition it was after Maya's "blessings".

I have a couple of wool toys, but they are more like "felted wool" rather than woven material like the socks are. Both cats aren't really interested in the felted wool material. I don't want Maya chewing on the threads of any cloth/material. She tends to love shredding any kind of cloth by scratching and loosening the threads; she's done that to my previous box spring mattress and under my fabric covered sofa, too. She will EAT those threads, and I don't want to have to take her to the e-vet for possible foreign body obstructions. Let's hope with vigilence and keeping all cloths/threads away, she'll forget about this awful habit for a looooong time.

dt8thd--
G used to chew on my phone cords constantly before. He is less interested in those baby cords (probably because he's bigger), but he's graduated on to chewing tougher cords like my hairdryer, and...other less desirable things. I've taken photos of his damage before on this thread:
https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...g-today-3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page