how much litter is enough - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

how much litter is enough

I am going through cat litter like no tomorrow,thing is my kitten wont go to toilet twice in the same litter and is fussy,so how many scoopfulls is ideal at the moment i am using three scoopfuls everytime i change it and the litter is about 1-2 inches deep and i tend to cover the entire litter tray? am i doing this wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Cat

What sort of litter are you using?

I'm guessing the litter is still damp from when she went last time, perhaps you could try a clumping litter, or a tray with a sieve (litter top and bottom, but the most of the pee flows through to the lower level so the top litter stays drier.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:12 AM
Premier Cat

You may try the multi cat clumping litter. It is just one kitten but the litter in my opinion works better than regular. Your kitty may not object to using it a few times before you having to empty it and refill. About two inches is what I use with my cats. But cats are different. Maybe yours would like a little more litter so she can bury her stuff plus it will give the liquid stuff more surface to clump. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 AM
Premier Cat

3 scoopfulls fills up to 2-inches? Must be a big scoop or a tiny box! I'd go get a much bigger litter box (kitty will grow anyway) and add in at least 2 inches of litter. If your kitty is a digger, you may need to simply add more litter as Jetlaya suggested. Good luck!

This clip is on litter box maintenance, by a rather OCD type cat-owner/breeder, but she has a very good tips and a great method to keep litter boxes immaculate for felines. It's a bit long-winded, but quite detailed. She also has a newer version of litter box maintenance (click on the prompt when watching), but the first one gives excellent guidelines and she uses large storage boxes with cut out holes for the entry that many of us on the forum also use. Commercial litter boxes are often smaller and expensive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA2AxpK6WM
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 AM
Cat Addict

Great clip Jetlaya put. We have 2 big litter boxes and each takes several KGS of clumping litter to give a deep amount for the girls to dig in. They both like to cover everything with a huge mound of litter. I clean out the clumps twice a day and a quick wipe each week on the edges and any gunky bits but the full litter change then needs only once a month. In the past for a very short time we used crystals but Lulu hated it because the pee was in the base so when she dug there it was and it was hard to clean out without a full change
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Premier Cat

I don't bother with litter changes. I scoop and top off unless someone is sick then I'll do a complete change. There is no need to waste the litter by dumping it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Cat Addict

My mother in law has a new kitten that is like this, she does not want to go once it's been used. The problem that I saw, when I went to see if I could help figure out why she had pooped outside of the box on a few occasions, she was not putting enough litter in the box. She was trying to just put a very small amount. It was unscented litter, and with it being such a small amount she was using, the smell of the litter box was horrific. I told her to clean the litter box, very well, fill it with at least 4 inches of litter, which is pretty much all of a 20 pound container, and to scoop it twice a day, or more, if you are there when she goes. When you use a really small amount of litter, the litter box just gets gross, really fast, at least I think it does. My mother in law is using the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter right now, and it is unscented, but since she has been keeping it full and scooped, the kitten has not had any incidents going outside the box. I told her to add some baking soda to the litter, mix it in, it really seemed to help too with the strong urine smell. I would try a good clumping litter, like Tidy Cat, and use the whole container. Then, as you scoop out the used part, add more to the box to keep it topped off. I have a very, very picky cat, who will not go into the box if it has poop in it, and even he is fine with it as long as there is enough in there and it is topped off and the poop is scooped out of it. You really won't go through litter as much as the way you are doing it, just putting a small amount in and changing it. If there is a small amount of litter in the box, it is going to smell, really bad, even if you scoop it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quick note~ Artie likes having a lot of litter in the box. I use about 4 inches. He is an adult. I use a clumping litter, scoop it 2-3 times a day. I re-fresh it when it goes down, and dump, clean the box every 3-4 weeks. I use Prescious Cats (blue bag)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Premier Cat

My boys all like a deep box. I use clumping litter and go through (for 3 cats) about 60 lbs a month.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Another advantage of putting a lot of litter in the box is that the urine is absorbed before it hits the bottom of the box and doesn't pool there making a sticky mess that's hard to get off the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page