How bad is cat spray? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How bad is cat spray?

I might be taking in an intact male cat (there's another thread about this stray) and I'd like to know how bad the spray is. Is it difficult to clean up? I'm looking at two options for neutering- a clinic where he'd be tested, vaccinated and neutered in the same day or going to my vet who will want to see him first and then schedule a later neutering.

Either way there will be a few days where he is in the house intact and I'm a little concerned about the spraying. Is a cat spray on a wall the kind of thing you can easily clean or is it the kind of thing that will require tearing out drywall to fix? I realize I must sound totally ignorant but I've never had an unfixed male before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Premier Cat

If he is a hoser (and he probably will be if he already sprays or can smell another cat), it is NOT a pleasant smell at all. The BEST room to keep him in will be a bathroom, laundry room, or somewhere with minimal surface to clean. You will need a blacklight to find and completely clean all spots....black lights do not show too well on dark surfaces. If you have floor boards or mouldings around the floor, the urine will get behind it unless you have a really good waterproof caulking job done first. To clean, use an enzymatic cleaner...follow the directions (if it says 5 minutes, leave it 10). Then wipe off with a dry cloth. Then wipe again with a 5% bleach and very hot water solution.

You may also want to consider doggy diapers if you want him to come out of the small room. I am currently experimenting with making my own fabric ones and using adult incontinence/doggy piddle pads inside. (you can google feline stud pants). Right now, I am thankful Luna only spray when she is calling....and Simba very rarely when Luna is in heat.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Cat Addict

The smell is bad but he may not be. I used to have an un-neutered Tom called Shadow. He had VERY bad asthma and the vet felt he wouldn't survive anaesthetic. He never caused any problems - the only time he sprayed indoors was a few days before he died and I have always felt he was trying to keep other Toms away for as long as possible (he had two shes whom he loved even though they could never have mated). He was, however, aware of any she in heat for miles! But that shouldn't be a problem for you in just a couple of days. Do keep in mind that his hormones won't die down instantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page