Newb needs some advice please - cat wants outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Newb needs some advice please - cat wants outside

Hello and thank you.

I am a senior male and am a first time cat owner. I'll ask my question first, and then tell you about my cat in case that helps.

In the last couple of days my "new" cat has started for the first time to want to go outside. Until now she's been afraid of the door and the outside. I'm afraid she will get lost because she rode to the house in the car and has never been out there.

She has a microchip and I bought her a cat-safe collar and a metal tag with her name and my phone number. She has definitely taken ownership of her food, water, litter box and bed.

Will she get lost? I'm having to shoo her back away from the door when I come into the house.

She's about 2 years old according to the shelter and I've had her for about 2 months. She timid but sweet, has gotten attached to me, but many things frighten her. It's only recently that she's stopped flinching when I reach out to pet her, and only recently has she begun to hop into my lap and at that she stays only a minute or so.

She hides if I have company and only recently stopped hiding to take her naps. Right now she has jumped up onto my desk and is trying to take a nap on my keyboard, LOL.

I live alone in a nice home and neighborhood and she has no other animals or people to worry her. The neighbors are nice and their animals are well behaved, but they have them.

Please, what should I do about her wanting to go outside in a residential subdivision?

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150216_212433.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	82641  

Last edited by marie73; 03-22-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Cat

I would stop her from going outside since she has never been outside. Its very dangerous outside there may be other feral cats, wild animals, dogs and cars. You can train her to wear a harness and take her for a walk on a leash. This way she can explore and you know she is safe because you are with her.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Cat

I would not let her out. There are so many bad things that can happen and of she has never been outside, she will not know what she's missing. She could take off, go explore and get lost or hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Catnewb!
If you let her out, you're starting something, she's going to expect! Cats can get very demanding! If she hasn't been out, I wouldn't start it. Then there are all the safety issues! I live in a very nice residential neighborhood, and lots of people walk their dogs, not always on a leash!
We also have coyotes that travel through!
If you can, put up some bird feeders, outside some windows, and invest in a cat tree condo, she can perch on, and watch the birds, and whatever else goes by!
Cats can adjust beautifully, to being indoor only!
All mine are indoor only, and I like being able to sleep at night, knowing they're all safe and sound!
I'm sure other's will have some more suggestions for you!
She's a Pretty Girl!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you. I don't know if she's ever been outside. I assume she may have been abused because she is afraid of people and it's taken me two months, a step at a time, to gain her trust? Right now she laying on the other side of my desk where I put a microfiber blanket for her, folded several times. She has adopted me for sure.

So it's OK that she doesn't ever go outside?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150228_153238.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	82649  

Last edited by catnewb; 03-07-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Premier Cat

Yes! It really is OK for a cat to be indoor only!

Some people think it's OK for cats to be indoor/outdoor too, and for those people, I guess it works....

Cats that are outside have a much greater chance of getting diseases, injured, poisoned or worse...
I'm not willing to take those chances with any of mine!

Several of mine had been outside rescues, and none of them show any interest in going back outside now!
"Been there, done that" is their attitude! :p

Know yourself, and what risks you are willing to take with her health and well-being!

You can buy cat grass at places like Petco, and independent pet stores!
She'll be able to enjoy some safe grass that way!
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Cool Cat

Hi, welcome to the forum! Your little kitty is absolutely gorgeous, and you seem like a fantastic owner. Yes, it is certainly fine (and safer) for a cat to be indoor-only! My two Persian girls are both strictly indoor. However, during the warm months I take them out on walks in a pet stroller, and let them explore on their harnesses in safe locations.

I 100% agree with Sharon - one of the best investments for indoor cats is a cat tree or window seat right by a window, where they can see the world outside and watch the birds and squirrels run around. I have two cat trees in two rooms of my apartment, both by windows, as well as a window seat (this one). My girls absolutely ADORE them, they are content and happy to watch out the window all day. It definitely keeps them busy and happily entertained!

Congrats on your new kitty!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Cat

Yes, it's perfectly ok for a cat not to go outside. I grew up with indoor/outdoor cats. Two passed away earlier than they should have otherwise due to injuries sustained while outdoors, our third cat barely spent any time outdoors and lived to a ripe age of 18. When I get my own cat it will be a purely indoor cat, not only is it worlds safer for the cat, but it's better for wildlife too.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Premier Cat

Keep her in and keep her safe!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page