does your cat watch tv!? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

does your cat watch tv!?

The best thing about my kitten is i noticed he watches tv all the time even last night he watched aliens vs predator with me all the way through to the end and did not take a single eye off it and this morning he watched cats vs dogs the film half way through then got tired.
I wonder if the cat knows whats going on or if they can see the picture like we do anyone know about this kind of stuff?
does your cat/kitten watch tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Cat Addict

My girls won't just watch anything but they do like the Videos for cats on You Tube, a lot of programmes on Animal Channel and the dance at the end of Madagascar which is hilarious as they look like they are dancing along too.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Premier Cat

They don't know what is going on or what is being said. They just watch the movement.

I did have a Malamute(dog) when I was married that was terrified of elephants. She'd run out of the room if she saw or heard one. She also loved a certain carpet store jingle. When they'd start singing it she'd wake up and stick her nose against the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, it's all about movement and sound. Holly doesn't really watch TV, but she likes to lay next to me when I have my laptop on my lap and will watch videos (especially animals) and try to "catch" things like exploding candies if I'm playing a game like Candy Crush. But then Holly, even at the jaded age of 8, still tries to catch snowflakes and flying leaves through the window. I'm not sure what they think about TVs, but I do get the impression that they do think it's a window.

If there was a bird or squirrel video on Maggie would try to go behind the TV looking for them. When Onyx was a kitten I was into watching basketball (when the Celtics were in their heyday) and she would try to catch the bouncing ball on the screen.

When Jake hears a dog barking on a TV show or a video, he immediately perks up and looks around the house for it. Sometimes he will start barking and running to the door when there's a doorbell on TV. He used to do it all the time, he's gotten better at distinguishing between TV & real...but still get's fooled sometimes. But now he looks sheepish when he realizes it isn't real.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...

Last edited by doodlebug; 03-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Cat

Our cats were never that interested in the tv, occasionally if Kitty was on your lap she might sort of watch it, but not overly interested. The only time we ever got any sort of real reaction, was one time when I watched a documentary titled "Australia: Land of Parrots" and Sparks just went crazy meowing and pawing at the tv and staring up at it etc. It was adorable, but it did make it difficult to hear the program
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Cat Addict

Blanco used to watch Bird videos on my laptop while he was on my lap. He tired of it. My Mama cat never. Both hate the doorbell rings on the TV and act like someone is at the door - which is a flight reaction for them.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Premier Cat

I don't have a doorbell but when someone knocks on a door on TV and it's at a decent volume they all run. MowMow and Neelix run to the door, Book heads to the hallway and crouches to wait until he is sure he shouldn't hide.

I had a retired field champion dog (Vizsla) my sister in law gave me, when we'd watching anything on TV with birds (especially quail or pheasant) he'd get all sorts of excited, even more so if it included pheasant/quail calls. He'd run in circles around the TV.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Cat Addict

My Saide Woo took up watching TV a several months back when we had to replace our old. broken one with one more up to date and a bigger screen.

Out of nowhere she was mesmerised. At first I thought it was just because there was something new and it must be investigated, but she will watch tv whether I am in the room or not. She has two absolute favourite shows, the rest is random.

Of course cats don't understand what is being said, or the "plot" line of a movie, but I can tell you that after Sadie started watching with intent, the relationship between her and I had changed rapidly. It was like it finally twigged with her that humans weren't going to rip off her little arms and ears! She has turned into a constant companion (as much as any cat can, that is lol) She is always very near by and will come anytime I call. I can pet her all I want to, these days, even to the point where I'm the one who gets tired of petting LOL. I have picking up and holding privileges and she tucks me in bed at night.
Her sister, Belle, on the other hand doesn't notice the TV and is still very conservative with sharing her soft fur LOL.
B.B. never did care much about the TV unless there are dinosaurs on it. Then she loves the sounds they make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Banned

I have a video of Artie watching a different version of the "Yule Log" which was on TV, Christmas Morning.

This version showed a fireplace, the other side of the room, with stockings, a fire, a cat bed on the side and an orange cat walking over to to the bed.

I did not realize he was watching it until I looked up. He went over to the tv, sat and watched it. He was mesmerized! You could see his head moving back and forth!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	82681  

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Cat Addict

Muffin likes to watch tigers. All the cats enjoy watching big cat documentaries, but Muffin gets all excited for Tigers. He'll jump around and sit right in front of the TV watching it.

They all like fish, or sea documentaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page