Thinking of adopting a 2nd cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thinking of adopting a 2nd cat

I have a cat and a dog, both males about the same size, both rescues. The rescue group where I got Daryl is always posting their new kitties on Facebook. Whoever writes the descriptions is brilliant. They make you fall in love with every single one. There's this 3-year old female named Dolly with an adorable face. They said she's a little skittish until she gets to know people. She gets along well with other cats and dogs in her foster home. I can't stop thinking about her. My dog is great with Daryl, but he's not interested in interacting. When Daryl rubs against him he leaves. They're both super focused on me all the time. When I walk the dog, Daryl is sitting at the window watching for us to come back I keep wondering if another cat would be good for Daryl. I just don't want it to put my dog over the edge. He's super sensitive and insecure. I worry he might feel outnumbered. OR.... maybe he'd be happy that Daryl has his own companion and not feel as needy for my attention all the time...?

Of course I also have to consider the extra work and expense of another cat, and I'm fine with that. I have a roomy house and I'm the only human. Uggh... I just can't stop thinking about it.

What should I do? I know... every dog and cat is different. But what would YOU do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Cat Addict

Since you have a small dog, how old he is? I like to make things easy for seniors.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Cat

Most shelters offer meet and greets with existing pets. Perhaps you could arrange for that and see how things go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My dog is 6 and Daryl will be 3 in a few weeks (approximately). They bring the rescue cats to Petsmart and there is a meet & greet room. However, Barney doesn't do well in Petsmart. He gets really nervous and obnoxious when he sees other dogs.

Daryl is staring at me and meowing while I type this. I think he's saying, "Get another cat."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Tom Cat

Is there a way the rescue would let you do a trial adoption for several weeks?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 AM
Tom Cat

Most shelters will take the cat back if it doesn't work out. They will also help counsel you if things are going rough (if they are worth their salt). If they won't we can

If it were me I would try it. I wouldn't rush introductions one bit though because you have a balance right now so make changes very gradually.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Tom Cat

I say go for it! You seem like you've already made up your mind

I can't wait to get a second cat either. I think about it a lot. Unfortunately I won't be able to for a year or so due to space and financial reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yes, this shelter will take the cat back at any time. In fact, they make you sign an agreement to that effect. I'm still thinking seriously about it, but I've come down to earth a little bit. My dog is having allergy problems and I need to make sure he's not allergic to the cat before I bring another one into the house. If it turns out to be food or dust mites or something, then I will see if Dolly is still available.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Dolly is still available and I'm still mulling it over! I inquired with the shelter. Dolly's foster mom thought she'd be fine with a dog and cat as long as they weren't bullies, but emphasized that she's shy and would need a separate room and time to adjust. Daryl's former foster mom said he'd be fine with another cat as long as it wasn't a bully. Does this sound like a promising match up? Does adding another cat change the relationship with the cat(s) you already have? I don't want Daryl to detach from me. He's such a lovey kitty.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Tom Cat

It doesn't change the relationship unless you want it to. When I brought in my second I made sure to split my time between them especially if they could see me interacting with the other cat. So I would pet one cat and then pet the other cat. They do spend a lot of time together and adore each other but I still feel connected to them individually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page