Sera seems to be unaffected by Tsukis passing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sera seems to be unaffected by Tsukis passing

Could there be a reason? Could the fact that I took her there with me so she would know what happened be the cause? Am I just expecting a reaction too quickly? I guess I'm just puzzled by the grieving process I know they were close so her remaining the same is odd to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

Tsukiyomi,
Since you took Sera with you, there is a very strong possibility that she understands Tsuki's passing...
I have always brought home, my departed ones, so the living, could sniff, and understand their friends spirit had flown away, and was no longer earthly bound. It does seem to help with the grieving process for them...
Sometimes though, you will see delayed reactions...so just keep your eyes open for more sleeping than usual, lack of appetite, not being playful, etc...
This is definitely the time, to spend extra time with Sera...
(((HUGS))) And Prayers,
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Premier Cat

It could be that she knows what happened. Also, like people, cat grieve in different ways. Play with her and lots of affection. Good for her as well as you. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Cool Cat

that would be a blessing if Sera really does understand what happened. much better to know than to constantly wonder where her sister is. and perhaps that really is what is going on. i do hope so. you've probably read about those special kitties out there that have that 6th sense about death. i think they really do understand and they help those who are near death pass peacefully. i hope she is able to comfort you as well. it's lovely that you still have each other and shared your love with Tsuki.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Cat

We've lost two cats before (a young boy that was with us for a few years, and an older male that we only had for a couple months), neither of our two females seemed to act much different.

Then, in the middle of last year when I lost my oldest (and childhood pet), Lucky, my other cat completely changed. She appeared to grieve more deeply than I have even seen some humans do.

I'm obviously no expert on the subject, but from what I've experienced and have gathered from similar stories, it can be based on a number of things. And, as the other posters have mentioned, animals grieve in different ways just like humans. Your cat could be grieving without you even knowing about it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Cat Addict

I hope that Sera really does understand. Some cats just deal with loss better than others, and better than we do.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Cat Addict

Like humans, cats respond differently to each other - not everyone grieves in the same way. A couple of years ago, a youngster of ours (daring Oz - still in my avatar) developed cancer. While he was ill our oldest cat who had adopted all the younger cats was devastated. We honestly thought we were going to lose her as well. The odd thing was that when he did actually die, she started eating again and we had her for another two years before she died incredibly suddenly. They are individuals and grieve in different ways.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

Tsukiyomi, I've heard very often that it can be helpful to do as you did, to let the remaining pet(s) see and sniff the one who has passed. Sera might understand, but just like humans, it might take her a while to really process what it means, as Sharon said.

When Margaux passed away, I resented it that Celia didn't seem to care. She was sleeping in her bed right next to Margaux's bed, and she may have known what had happened. But there was no reaction for the first two days. By the third day, she started to realize something was wrong, and although she seems to understand now (more than 3 months later) that Margaux is gone, the grieving process continues. She still occasionally sits and stares out the window, but not constantly like she did at first, and she still needs a LOT of time and attention. Whether Sera shows it or not, she would probably love some extra time and reassurance from you. Sending both of you hugs.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 AM
Cat Addict

In the previous thread I think it was Sharon who said that Sera may have already sensed that Tsuki was very ill and was craving your constant attention because of this. I agree with Sharon and IMO she was almost grieving about it before, maybe even a little scared. So her behaviour would not change much.
I have previously has 2 cats who were really great buddies but when the first died there was barely any recognition by Thomas that he had not seen Jasper.
Plus Sera is very young and so like children may not understand the implication of her friend not being around. Just think how often adopted kittens can have been moved from home to home before they get their forever home, so loss can be common for them.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Premier Cat

Cats don't "think" like we do. She may go look for her just like she would on any other day and not finding her go on about her business with the looking becoming less and less as the days go on. Cats live in the moment. It may be "I want to play where's Tsuki? - SQUIRREL!!!" and become completely distracted by something else. Unless they spent all their time together and had a tight bond she may not even miss her enough to go looking for her.

When I have foster kittens that have integrated into the household, my older kitten Polly will "look" for them to play after they get adopted, but then she will become completely distracted and go on about her business if she can't find them.

Depending on the relationship between Sera and Tsuki the bond may not have been as tight as we thought, or like you suspect and others have suggested, she may have already accepted the fact that Tsuki is gone......or the grieving has not started yet. Just my 2 cents.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page