Cat Forum banner

Can a kitten have a mean personality?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Mandy and Ellie 
#1 ·
I never thought I would ask that question! I have 4 cats and have rescued 3 others besides and I am currently caring for 3 different feral cat kitten litters (and have lined up spaying for all mothers.)

Anyway - one kitten is 4.5 weeks old and I've been caring for her mother and her since her birth. I've handled her lovingly several times a day. Her mother is very docile and sweet. This kitten just fusses if I hold her and bites me. Not - hey I'm a kitten and I want to play, but really bites mean and hard! I have weighed her periodically to make sure she's gaining weight and her mom seems to still care for her and nurse her and she doesn't seem sick, so I don't think she's fussing for physical reasons. I'm not sure why she hasn't warmed to me. She is an only kitten - although I've had other kittens who were only kittens who were as sweet as can be.

On the other hand - the other litter I'm caring for that is 5.5 weeks old - the kittens are becoming a delight. Interacting with me and warming to me.

I'm wondering what I can do to unlock a connection with the other kitten? Is it possible that some cats just have rather grumpy personalities? I need to get her ready for adoption in 4 weeks so I hope she becomes more charming!

See less See more
#17 ·
Yes I agree. Continue to love on her. I like to hold them until they calm down then GENTLY brush my chin across their face from chin up to ears. Also, you can offer tiny bits of lightly sauteed chicken from your fingers as a treat if eating solid food. My Ruff was like this at the same age - maybe a couple weeks younger. He was terrified and would hiss and spit at me. Took weeks of trust building before he warmed up. That age is easy to tame.

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking of this overnight. I want there to be more of an automatic bond as I've cared for her since birth, but for whatever reason, she will need more time. I think she's frustrated. I think she is ready to start eating food, but she's just not getting it when I introduce her to a formula and canned kitten food mixture. My other litter I'm caring for - the kittens just started eating on their own, but she seems to need more coaxing. She keeps trying to eat cat litter.

#4 ·
Is it possible to introduce her to the kittens from the other litter? Even though they're a week older they'd do wonders for her socialization - especially if they're very friendly with people.

I agree with Greenport - she sounds scared. She might just need calmer gentler handling, some kittens are extra sensitive.

#5 ·
I was wondering about introducing her to the other litter. She's now 5 weeks and they are 6 weeks. I see a big difference between that 1 week of development. I also worry about the mom cats? I would hate for one of them to harm the visiting kitten.

I got her to eat a little bit the other day from a spoon (formula and canned food) but haven't been able to get her to eat again.

#6 ·
i know you're more experienced than me with socializing since you foster kittens, but wanted to add just in case that when you do introduce the younger one to the others that it's done one at a time and not a whole bunch of strange kittens all at once for her, right?

good luck. I hope she warms up to you soon.

#8 ·
I raised two litters of kittens that were exactly one week apart, together. There were 11 total and they all shared the same mama cat.

The mama cat took in the litter of kittens that weren't hers without a second thought. I don't think she knew the difference. And if she did, she definitely didn't care.

I agree with librarychick to introduce the solo baby to the group, as soon as possible.

#9 ·
I'd actually consider taking the singleton baby off it's mom, and just straight up putting her with the other mum full time. If you do that then her mum can go to be spayed sooner, and the other mum can worry about the kittens. She'll have no problem nursing one extra.

Introducing an extra kitten is pretty easy. I'd start by just holding the kitten up to the mum, and see what she does. If she hisses, growls, or swats take the kitten away, remove all her kittens, and keep the kittens all together for about 30 minutes away from the mother. This lets the kittens mix their scents together, AND will make the mum a little frantic about her kittens. When you're ready to put them back together put ALL the kittens in a kennel, take the kennel to the mother cat, and open the door so all the kittens come out together.

Cats don't count well, and if all the babies smell the same she'll most likely accept the new baby without any issues at all.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'd actually consider taking the singleton baby off it's mom
I was wondering about this! I've been so afraid of her hurting Una - but Una's mom doesn't seem as eager to stay with her anymore - and yes, I want to get her spayed.

Fauvette, the mother of the other 5 is a really good mother. I'm going to try to introduce her today.

#11 ·
Update:
I felt this kitten was too isolated as a solo kitten. Also the mother of the other litter was getting restless to go outside for awhile, so I've started bringing Una in to stay with the other litter for periods of time. I think it's really good for her. She's now using the cat box and eating canned food with formula. I still have to put her on my lap and show her the saucer to eat, but she's doing it now.

She also is being more engaged. She wanted to get on my lap today and cuddle.

She seems a little slower than the other litter - I think because she is an only kitten, but progress is being made.

I also realized she was getting an eye infection which was probably making her fussy. I'm treating it now. She's different from the other kittens I've been around - so it's a good learning experience for me.

#14 ·
Yeah, I know. I just don't think it's going to work trying to keep them inside non-stop. They are too used to being outdoor cats. One cat is in a garden shed. (I have gone to pains to put up shade for when it's warm.)

I'm going to just have to get them spayed soon.

#15 ·
Well, I introduced Una to Fauvette - the mother of the other litter. She seemed completely unperturbed. Even so, I won't leave her unsupervised until I'm sure.

Today, Una was snuggled up with the other kittens - warmed my heart to see her fitting in. The first couple of days, she seemed a little lost.

#16 ·
Just thought I'd follow up. I've permanently placed Una with the other litter. It was hard to decide and she really missed her mom, but it didn't seem her mother wanted to be with her anymore and I think she needs the socialization. She's doing OK - playing with the other kitties, but sometimes is off on her own. She's slow to interact, but I'm going to be patient with her - she is one week younger than the others and the others started to really start interacting after 6 weeks. She just turned 6 weeks.

#18 ·
Hey - nice coincidence with your post Marcia. Tonight was the first time Una wanted to be on my lap. I have also discovered that she loves to be held up in my hands - away from my body so I see her - and cooed to. She relaxes and closes her eyes and likes me to stroke her cheeks. I tell her what a pretty girl she is - and she is! She's mixed breed, but she has Siamese cat type coat with beautiful dark pointed ears, feet, and tail and gorgeous blue eyes and a black nose. Her mom is a pointed cat - very pretty. I bet I won't have trouble finding her a home. If these litters are any indications, it seems like 7 weeks old is when they really start to notice you and interact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.