Kitty Glamping - Good or Bad idea? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitty Glamping - Good or Bad idea?

So I have two indoor munchkins, because we have HUUGE hawks that already tried to get the cats twice banging into the window where they perch, and tons of cars nearby, so I just don't trust them to run around in this area.

But I'd love them to get some outdoor action.

Right now, when its nice I open all the windows and back door with the screen door, and the screens are quite strong and they make no attempt to escape, so they can at least get some outside sounds and smells.

But I was thinking, what about glamping with the kitties now and then when its nice out? Just put them both in a crate, bring them out to a 8-10 person large tent or screenhouse with a built in floor on the patio, and have a night out with the furballs?

Good idea? Or would they start pestering me constantly trying to get outside or rush out the door when I'm home (which right now they don't)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Premier Cat

From my readings here on the CF, I don't think cats in general like to travel. Car/plane rides will stress them out, as will any foreign environment. They will not eat or use their litterbox for extended durations, the prolonged stress (during travel itself) can cause them to get sick as well.

I'm sorry but the whole glamping with the cat idea doesn't seem secure with me...too many things can go wrong. Tents alone aren't enough, neither are most regular screens--aren't they mostly to prevent mosquitos/bugs from biting us anyway? There's no guarantee the cat(s) will not rip out the screens/tent, escape, and being in a foreign environment yourself, how would you go about retreiving a lost cat? Once "indoors only cats" are outside (in the wild), they are often spooked and will hide, no matter how much you call them. Look at thread where cats have escaped their own home--not everyone is lucky enough to find them again. You also have no idea if your accomodation will even accept your cats to stay with you...? Most people travel with dogs, how will your cats react if faced by a loud, nosy dog chasing/poking into "their territory"? There are so many more reasons, but I think this is more trouble for both you and your cats than it's worth.

If you can afford glamping, you might think of building a screened in porch or a large catio for your cats in the near future if you'd like them to enjoy the outdoor smells and sounds safely. They'd be in heaven, and WE at Catforum will all be indeed jealous, too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry, I was vague. When I said patio, I meant glamping in my own back yard, as you are right they HATE car rides. I definitely did consider a catio, and I have a very large patio, but to install a permanent screened in patio, after dealing with the HOA assuming they would even approve it, would likely be several grand in order to be wind worthy. My next home will have a screened in patio though for sure. The appeal of an instant tent was its only $200 or so, I can put it away when done, and no HOA approval needed.

On a related note, my boy cat has already escaped TWICE, which gave me a heart attack, and both the same way. Usually I have zero risk as neither try to bolt through the door. The exception is the boy late at night if you go out the back yard I guess he feels safer and will slip under your feet if not careful. That happened twice, and luckily both times after sniffing around a bit in the yard ran back to me on the "yumyum" command (which I do when I give them treats/food) so I could pick his furry butt up. *wipes brow*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Premier Cat

I agree that Glamping could be risky for the cats.

Here's a couple of DIY plans that aren't too expensive or elaborate: Check out the "Window Box" and the "Haven" on the following website:

https://catiospaces.com/catios-cat-e...res/diy-plans/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:03 AM
Tom Cat

I doubt they would be door rushers if crated from inside the house to the tent, my cats associate their stroller with going outside and not the door...

I thought of taking my cat walking in my yard as i bought the harness etc but never did as I also fear door rushers or pestering...If I do someday do that I will put him in the stroller, take him outside, then take him out of the stroller to go walking...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

I've had a stroller for quite a while now, and my cats love to go for their "walkies" around the neighborhood. They will often sit in the stroller as a hint that they want to go out. They enjoy all the sights and it gives them a sense of patrolling a territory as well.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Tom Cat

Ha ha. My cat freaked out when a neighbor came up to her and now she is unhappy going out in the stroller. Howls pathetically. I've been letting them out on the deck but it scares me. I don't leave them unattended but anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 05-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
I've had a stroller for quite a while now, and my cats love to go for their "walkies" around the neighborhood. They will often sit in the stroller as a hint that they want to go out. They enjoy all the sights and it gives them a sense of patrolling a territory as well.

Do you take them during the day or after dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

When the weather warms up to room temp I take them out both during the day and warm nights. They seem especially intrigued and interested at night tho, I guess because that is the natural time when a cat would go hunting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page