introducing 2 kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

introducing 2 kittens

Hi there! My names Molly and I'm just after a bit of advice due to not being a cat owner for long.

Basically, I have a resident cat genie who is 5 months old and last week I found a kitten named buddy who is 7weeks old. I didn't have the heart to give him to somebody else so thought I would have the two.

I kept them seperated for a few days and changed scent etc but I did try to engage in activities with both of them.

To start with genie would hiss and growl and occasionally try to swat buddy especially around food, but slowly she has stopped the hissing and growling and they eat together (supervised) in the same room.

Genie will sometimes hunt buddy down and watch him, swat him and then run away, but these last few days she has been running up to him and pinning him down biting his bottom and neck etc and a few times he has cried out. This isn't all the time but it has been more so these last few days, which I think is weird because for 2 or so days there was nothing except the occasional swipe. Sometimes buddy will hiss back at her and try grab her etc but more often than not he will cry.

Sometimes when I'm around they appear to get quite close and sniff eachother without any kind of aggression, and I woke up with them both asleep on me earlier.

I just want to know if this is normal behaviour really or if I should except that they will never get on.

Thanks, Molly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Jr. Cat

I have four cats who are all one year old, and one who was born this year around the same date they were. That's the kind of behavior they showed towards him for awhile until he got older. More often than not, this behavior is just the older cat wanting to be left alone.

But I do think it's a little weird, because Genie is only 5 months old, so he really shouldn't be showing that kind of agression. But because Buddy is so young, he's still pretty fragile. I would keep them a bit more separated until Buddy is big enough to hold his own. I'd try switching their rooms around every once in a awhile (Put Buddy in Genie's room and Genie in Buddy's room). I am by no means a cat expert, but I hope this helps!

Good luck!!!!

-My_Cat_Smudge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Premier Cat

Normal behaviour....Genie's just letting him know who's boss. Sounds like they're getting along pretty well--sniffing each other and sleeping together with you are all good signs. Engage them in play together with a fishing-pole type of toy like "Da Bird" or something similar with feathers on the end Flick it from one to the other and let them have a turn to catch it from time to time....Genie, being older, will likely dominate the play.....then after the play session give them some treats (healthy ones like "Pure Bites") or a little piece of chicken). You can also get a length of cord (like window blind cord) and move it around on the floor like a snake. Put out an empty cardboard box and cut some holes in the side so they can poke their paws thro and one or two big enough to go in and out. Change their toys around every week or so. This will make them more bonded and they'll learn that when they're together good things happen. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Surely this is a good sign?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1506153379397.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	118753  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Premier Cat

Definitely! Genie, your torbie and white girl, is relaxed and showing no interest, though the kittie Buddy looks like he may be checking out her tail, especially if she's moving it. "Hmmm, Should I touch it or pounce on it?"

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page