Scratching blocks, getting them to use rather than furniture - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Scratching blocks, getting them to use rather than furniture

Hi guys, does anyone have any tips how to encourage cats to scratch on scratching blocks? They are both 5 and have never really used the ones I made up for them, they do sometimes scratch on tree branches outside which is good but not enough as they still much prefer using the sides of the sofas instead!

With the sofas suffering I've bought them a cat tower with the pillars all made of sissal scratching posts. They are quite liking the tower but paying little attention to the scratching posts. I've tried spraying a couple with catnip but their response was to rub their chins against it in affection instead!

The reviews for the tower had lots saying their cats used the scratching posts lots instead of their furniture. So what can I do to try and get my cats to use it? I've even tried holding their paws and doing the scratching motion on it, and can't think what else I can do. Also what should I do when they scratch furniture to discourage it in a positive way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I had some loose pieces of carpet lying around, one was turned the wrong way up. As soon as my cat walked on it she decided to scratch it! Her brother is now doing it too, ive left a patch in the kitchen and they are using it every day when they come in from the garden, almost like we wipe our feet!

After all the materials Ive tried the underside of carpets is the one they like! They didn't require any encouragement either, just nonchalantly started doing it by themselves as though they've had it all their lives. I was totally stunned, and to think ive had this spare carpet all this time...

What a relief though, cats will always be cats . I have left some carpet right by where they love to scratch the sofa, so Im hoping they will choose that instead otherwise ill attach it to the sofa!

Last edited by marie73; 10-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Cool Cat

That is very cool and a great thing to remember! Years ago I recall bringing in a rather large tree stump with bark still on it for one of my cats. Otherwise I might have lost all my furniture.

So upside down carpet is a good thing to try - who knew? Is the carpet scrap backed with that fibery weave? I can imagine that might appeal to a cat.... but I would not have thought of it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ha I hadn't quite thought of a tree stump, not sure it would have gone down well with others in the house though lol.

Yep the carpet has that weaved fibres, so it does look like something enticing for cats to scratch, I just never thought of it before and they only got to it by chance. But im so pleased they found it- there is more leftover carpet hidden away so they won't go short for a long time now

Last edited by marie73; 10-10-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Tom Cat

Some cats are horizontal scratchers, some prefer vertical surfaces. If your cats are scratching branches and sofa arms, they're probably partial to horizontal surfaces. Place some horizontal scratching pads next to your sofa, after putting a few strips of double sided tape on the parts of the sofa that they're scratching.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Jr. Cat

I never would have thought of upside down carpet either. Nor would I ever have considered what my neighbor's cat uses to scratch: a rubber doormat on my patio.

Furniture is not the problem here. Daisy only scratches - and bites! my desk chair. As a kitten she loved the area rug that is used as an inside doormat. Months later she decided to scratch the carpet instead.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea

Last edited by marie73; 10-10-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page