Bin raiding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bin raiding

Last night, Ebony decided that something in the bin was interesting and raided the bin to get it out of the bin (luckily not the kitchen bin which is the bigger bin, it was the small sitting room bin that she raided)

She then decided to guard the bit of rubbish she grabbed (think: Gollum from Lord of the Ring. Myyyyyyy. Preciousssssssss. kind of thing), keeping tight hold of it in her mouth and growling if either me or Tigger tried to either get it off of her or investigated to see what it was. I was a bit concerned in case she swallowed it (it was not food and it wouldn't have done her any good to swallow it, would have caused a blockage)

After a few minutes, after she'd hid with it and fully investigated it and realised it wasn't edible she let me get it off of her, but I'm wondering what could have caused her to suddenly revert to her "stray days" (I am assuming this was how she survived on the streets, considering how ill/injured she was, raiding people's bins and getting any food down her as quick as she can and hiding with it to share with her kittens, which when she was rescued she had 2 surviving babies but it was too late for the others)

Anyone have any ideas why last night she suddenly reverted to bin raiding? As far as I could tell, everything was the same as normal and there was no food in the bin (although some packaging in the kitchen bin smelled of food but nothing in the bin she raided smelled of food)

Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29/08/2014 - 17/10/2014)
Ebony (01/01/2014 - 2nd March 201
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tigger (31/10/14 - current) <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

She must have smelled something that got her curiosity up. One time Cleo came walking in my bedroom, very slowly, head completely inside an empty tissue box. Now that's a curious cat!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I could understand it if it was food she could smell, but that bin never has food waste or food packets in so I'm just confused as to why she decided to raid the bin. Could it maybe have been my theory about her reverting to what she must have done as a stray in order to survive? Could it have been both curiosity and reverting to previous survival mode behaviour? idk,

She has never shown this behaviour with me before and the only cat that did show this behaviour was Tom ( his owner died and the family dumped him in the garden before calling the rescue after realising he wasn't going to survive on his own) and in Tom's case it was the kitchen bin because he could smell the food waste.

I'm confused.

Funny story though marie

Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29/08/2014 - 17/10/2014)
Ebony (01/01/2014 - 2nd March 201

Tigger (31/10/14 - current) <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page