Cat scratching everywhere! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cat scratching everywhere!

My cat goes outdoors and was using one of a carpeting hand maid scratching post. I had to move it out of the house when my grand kids came to live with me who are gone now. Then it got tossed because it was too loose. Since then the cat scratches everywhere but especially the sofa. She has made holes in it. She also scratches back of dining room chairs, door moldings, my car seats if she can get in there, and basically everywhere. I had a nice sisal post and a cat tree with carpet and a small scratching one they lay in too. My problem is:
A. My male will claim the posts and deters her but I do see her scratch when he is not around.
B. She is now used to scratching the sofas for months.

I was thinking of getting another post just like the one I got rid of made again. It was heavy duty.
1. How can I get her used to using it?
2. How can I keep my male from claiming it too!
3. Could she need her nails clipped a bit - usually don't do this as she goes outside and needs to jump fences and such using her nails.

I want to get new sofas when (if) she can ever be retrained.

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

Once cats get used to scratching on furniture it's hard to get them to use scratching posts----I have a couple of cat trees with several posts that are covered with carpet and sissel rope on the top half of posts with platforms on top to lie on. From time to time I rub catnip into the posts---they really like that! But my cats still like to scratch on a sofa and tub chair of textured material, but don't scratch a love-seat that's covered in a sateen cotton or a tub chair that is pseudo suede or leather furniture---as they can't get their claws into them. I clip their claws every 3 wks. or earlier. For the furniture that they do like to claw I keep covered with sheets (and remove for visitors). Problem with my cats is that because they know I don't like them scratching on the furniture if they're not covered, they will do it as an "attention getter" if I'm on the phone or talking with someone. My Devons are quite demanding for attention and usually want to be near me most of the time. They also don't take long naps, but are always interested in whatever I'm doing, so they will nap with me when I nap, rather than getting into mischief.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have several of those cardboard scratchers in every room. My girls love them, they even sleep on them (I get the flat ones). And I have cat trees in my livingroom and bedroom, they LOVE the sisal posts. I guess I've also been very lucky with them not scratching my furniture.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Premier Cat

I have a cardboard scratcher as well, but both my guys just ignore it, don't like it, even if I rub catnip into it.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Tom Cat

Have you tried covering the areas she likes to scratch with double sided tape? One of mine likes to use the sofa too, although she hasn't damaged it yet. I cover the arms with thick towels because the other one likes to attack them, claws out. I strategically place the baby gate leaning against the back of one area she particularly seems to like. Ha ha. Mine don't scratch on the leather chairs we have in our den where we sit most often. And I don't believe she scratches the downstairs couch which isn't textured like the upstairs ones, it's more of a flat suede-ish fabric. The couch scratcher cat will also scratch a bit on the carpeted stairs, although I haven't seen her do that for quite awhile, and she also uses the carpeted areas of the cat trees to scratch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Tom Cat

Is there some reason you don't want the male cat using it? We have one big 7' scratching pole in our living room and both of our cats use it in different ways.
Clipping her claws will minimize the damage she can do to your furniture, but she'll still feel the urge to scratch. Cat claws shed layers, a bit like the layers on an onion, as they grow. They need to scratch to move those shed claw sheaths.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
I have a cardboard scratcher as well, but both my guys just ignore it, don't like it, even if I rub catnip into it.
They mainly appeal to horizontal scratchers. If a cat is a vertical scratcher, he/she won't be interested.
Also, they tend to slide around. I've had to take mine out of the decorative cardboard box base it came in and just set it on the living room rug. The corrugated back grips the rug. It makes a mess, though, I get little cardboard shreds everywhere when my big male cat uses it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Kitten

Hello

I just got my boys a month ago this friday. I have another post called "new cats hissing at me"
My friend gave me a spray to help deter the boys from scratching where i don't want them to ie: the sofa.
for the most part it has helped and they are slowly going the either the scratching post, a scratch pad and mat that has scratch pad built in.

The spray is called "Whisker City: No Scratch"

Hopefully this will help your situation
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I am willing to try the spray but I am sure she is doing it when I am not there. In fact she seems to be scratching any place on the sofa, sides, arms, kitchen chairs, wall moldings, bamboo laundry basket. She goes outside and has a wood fence to scratch and other natural things. She didn't do this before and I didn't realize it right away so she has a good habit going. I just put down a cardboard one I had - a circle with a ball that goes around. Male immediately claimed it. If he sees her on HIS scratchers, he chases her off. I will need new sofas but I am afraid of what will happen.

When I first noticed a hole, I bought some spray and tried that and foil, etc so she just scratched a different place. I have two sofas. Darn, the things we put up for our animals.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hi there. Well the cats do like the cardboard scratcher but not sure how long they will last. I just bought replacements but this is what it looked like after a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page