Hello - need help with cat acting out - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello - need help with cat acting out

Hello, we have around a 5 year old tortoise shell cat, we got her when she was barely just born and had to bottle feed her because her mother was ran over.

After starting real food after the bottle, she will eat way too fast and way too much and just throw it up, this has been happening her whole life.

We used to live with my parents and this would always happen so we would just feed her small amounts throughout the day. After we moved out of my parents (1.5 years ago) she has now begun acting out very bad. It started out in small issues, her getting into food left out and tearing it off the counter, trying to open cabinets and getting in food that way. She also meows NON STOP, even when she is not in heat. It is a very obvious difference between being in heat and her normal everyday obnoxious very loud meowing.

She did have another cat at my parents house, but they didn't even like each other that much.

Now today, she has started something newer. She will still get into left out food, and has eaten nearly 1/2 a package of tortillas when left out on the counter and left alone for barely 10 minutes, she is very small so this is insane to me.

She has just started OPENING our trashcan, jumping inside, and eating any food she can, and then just laying down and waiting for minutes(hours?) until we get home and can't find her and finally hear her and have to let her out. We since started locking the lid shut, but now she DESTROYS the trash bag that is outside of the trash can, wrapped around it to keep it in place.
We have tried spray bottles and loud paper to scare her, but nothing stops her and she will just do it again if you don't watch her or do something to prevent her from being able to.

We are almost to the point of getting rid of her. We are willing to try one or two more things, one thing being calming supplement to make her chill out. I am beginning to think she may have Hyperthyroidism, even though its been going on since she was just a kitten.

TLDR: 5 year old cat will eat all the food possible until she throws up, so we must feed her in small bits a few times a day. She now destroys the trashbags and any food left out or bags to get into food. She also meows constantly, very loudly and obnoxiously, almost like shes yelling at us (lol) and sometimes she will just randomly start meowing very loud and obnoxiously for no reason, even when she is just laying down and no one is around.

We don't really have the money to be spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on tests to figure out whats wrong with her, I want to get some ideas from more experienced people and see what I should try or do, and if the only option is going to a vet, I would atleast like some ideas on what to expect or ask to test for.

I really appreciate it and hope someone can help as this is my fiances cat and she has loved it for a very long time, and it really helped her through a hard time. I am trying to be understanding but I am losing my mind with this cat.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Getting her fixed may solve many of these problems. Poor girl shouldn't have to go through that constantly.

Securing your trash can and cupboards will solve other problems. Kind of an easy fix. My cats are brats, too, so I have to do the same. Don't leave food on the counter, or anywhere else, unattended. Maybe some interactive toys would keep her occupied. There are also puzzles containing food that she would have to work at to get to, that would certainly keep her busy.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Cat Addict

I can't leave out food, have strong rubber band on my kitchen cabinet where the garbage is. I still can't figure out how my cat got into a tub that had a new bag of dry food in it (for treats). On top of the covered plastic tub is another heavy tub with candles. I think I will check it again when I get home! Maybe the cat has allergies or something that is causing her to throw up. I would eliminate any medical reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page