cat introduction not going well - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat introduction not going well

Just 2 days ago my family and I adopted 2 cats. Previously we had owned one, but she was a feral cat we fed and pet. During bad weather we kept her inside though! These 2 are indoor girls and I read that cat's are social which definitely surprised my inexperienced cat owning self. We decided to get 2 so when everyone as gone or couldn't care for both, they'd have each other. The youngest, Blackberry, who's 2 (nearly 3) months old, seems to be mean to the older one. Although, they haven't started to fight yet. Just some hissing and growling from the tiny one and back and forth stalking. ..I need some help with that.... ^^;

I'm a 17 year old girl from Virginia. I work and go to school, it also seems like I'll be the cats care taker as well. My old, 10 year old dog Carmen is calm around them so I feel like she's okay with it. I am planning on going to college for some... science-y.. I haven't decided between the safe route, Engineering, or what I want to do, Anthropology. I'll probably do a year of work before college so I can pay for some of the first year. My parents are unable to help me with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Premier Cat

From 3 mos. to 9 mos. play fighting is the game. It looks like a lot of rough housing with biting, swatting, etc., but most young animals, also puppies, go thro this phase. The wrestling only gets serious if one cat backs down continually, or runs away to hide, shows fear of the other cat by hissing and laying back its ears if the bully cat comes near it, and refuses to engage in play wrestling any more. If kitty is still coming back for more, then all is well. Often the play fighting looks worse to us than it really is.....if there's no blood being drawn from bites, then all is well. Just relax, and enjoy the antics! All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Tom Cat

My two are 4 and 8 years old and they still play fight. It's how kittens practice skills like stalking prey and bite inhibition, among other things, but many cats keep doing it well into adulthood. Our little female will pounce on our large male or flop over onto her back and tap at him with her paws to try to tease him into a wrestling match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sadly, Cranberry, the older one, has progressively gotten more violent. Tonight she tried to bite at Blackberry's throat twice. The little one can't fight back and screams now. I put the bully into a room alone with food, water, and a litter box but she kept slamming herself into the door. I'm concerned with both, she's a danger to herself and the other. I'm considering returning her to the Humane Society and telling them she's incompatible with a family with more animals. (She also tried to bat at my dog, but she's a bit scared of her)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Tom Cat

Aw, that's too bad, but probably for the best. We had to return a cat a couple years ago when our incumbent female cat kept trying to kill her (Taffy only tolerated males). Fortunately, she has since found a better home with someone else, so let's hope yours does as well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulora View Post
Just 2 days ago my family and I adopted 2 cats. Previously we had owned one, but she was a feral cat we fed and pet. During bad weather we kept her inside though! These 2 are indoor girls and I read that cat's are social which definitely surprised my inexperienced cat owning self. We decided to get 2 so when everyone as gone or couldn't care for both, they'd have each other. The youngest, Blackberry, who's 2 (nearly 3) months old, seems to be mean to the older one. Although, they haven't started to fight yet. Just some hissing and growling from the tiny one and back and forth stalking. ..I need some help with that.... ^^;

I'm a 17 year old girl from Virginia. I work and go to school, it also seems like I'll be the cats care taker as well. My old, 10 year old dog Carmen is calm around them so I feel like she's okay with it. I am planning on going to college for some... science-y.. I haven't decided between the safe route, Engineering, or what I want to do, Anthropology. I'll probably do a year of work before college so I can pay for some of the first year. My parents are unable to help me with that.
I had cats who loved to chase each other and wrestle. They were games to the kitties, who did it every day for years. I also had a cat who mounted on the other cat's back and bit the back of her neck like how tomcats mate with queens. She hated this and growled at him. (There was a big difference in size between those cats and he probably sired kittens before being neutered.) If this is familiar, they will be OK. It's a normal feline behavior. Bloody cat fights are where it becomes a problem. In this situation, a pet gate to separate the cats without making them feel too confined may be helpful.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page