Cat jumping on the kitchen table - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question Cat jumping on the kitchen table

Hi all. My one-year old white shorthair Daisy, who has been living with me since January 12, has one bad habit: jumping on the kitchen table. It started with smelling dinner and just putting her paws on it. I'm not sure when that started. Now she is getting up there whether food is on the table or not. Telling Daisy, "Get down!" or "No no no" does not work. I don't want to squirt water on her. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Most of us have given up on this. Even if you can intimidate your cat enough to stay off when you're around, when you're gone, they're texting and Facebooking their friends and getting stuff off the internet (they're not hanging around on your shoulders because they love you, they're getting your passwords) and having table parties. HUGE table parties. And counter parties. That's right. They're not staying off your counters, either.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

The only thing I've found that discourages my cats to stay off the kitchen island and counters is "Ssscat! motion detector spray" available at Amazon. It has the advantage that it isn't you who is doing the spraying. Just got to remember whether it's turn "on" or "off", as I've gotten sprayed too! LOL! I did find that if I had it beside a vase of flowers, that the cats thought it was the flowers that sprayed.....so you could try that as well.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So it is a semi-automatic sprayer?

Meows and purrs,
Andrea
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Tom Cat

Double sided tap or aluminum foil could work. Honestly I just use a antibacterial wipe on the table before we use it which is twice a year. Same for the counter. It's the cat's house for sure.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Premier Cat

The Ssscat! spray has an on/off switch, and needs 4 AAA batteries. It sprays out about 4-5 ft. and the same in width.
Just have to note if the switch is on or off! or you will get sprayed too!

For some reason the Canadian website came up, but the American website lists the can at US $29.95.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 10-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Kitten

I've found my cats on the counter a couple times (not many), I just pick them up and put them down or usually approaching them they know and jump off. I think maybe because we allow them to sit and hang out on the kitchen chairs, that fends them off from wanting to go on the counters. The fact that they have a place that's higher than the ground in the kitchen might be helping.

When I'm in the kitchen they do tend to follow me and hang out. They meow for attention and I make sure to give them some on the ground, away from the countertops. Perhaps create a space that's just for the cats in the kitchen, give them pets and treats at that corner. Over time they may claim that to be the favorable spot
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Daisy is allowed to be on the bar counter and above the dishwasher. I just don't want her where human food and breakable things are. She started jumping up there to knock down things that for some reason looked like toys to her.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page