Litter Box Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Litter Box Problem

I have a 4 year old cat that starting four days ago peeing out of the litter box. The situation started when I got rid of one of the litter boxes in my apartment due to a fruit fly infestation that invaded the litter box. This left my apartment having only one litter box in my roommate's bedroom. Early Saturday morning my roommate locked the cats out of her bedroom and the cats (now presumably just mine) peed on 3 of the rugs during a 30 minute time period. Now we have 3 litter boxes in our apartment and my cat still continues to pee on new rugs and she has peed on my roommates bed sheets. After this freak episode on Saturday morning I have been monitoring my cat's behavior and have noticed that she is going to the bathroom way more frequently than she used too. She also grooms down there way more frequently. Has anyone's cats been in this sort of situation before? I already made a vet appointment but I am posting on here to prepare myself for possible outcomes.

Key notes are that besides this one incidence my cat leads the most pampered life of any cat I know. I also keep her litter boxes super clean and she has been drinking an excessive amounts of water but in her 4 years of life she has always done that. She also has been told that she is a little over weight 12.45 lbs but I have been trying to get her to lose weight so she is probably around 12 lbs now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_230828.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	119762  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Premier Cat

Hi there! What a gorgeous kitty! I thought she was all gray on a quick look, but now I see she may be a tortie?

I'm glad that you went ahead and made the vet appointment. Is she using the box frequently but not producing big pee clumps? It sounds like she may have a urinary tract issue - maybe an infection, or crystals. Peeing frequently but in small amounts, frequent licking of the genital area, and peeing out of the box are pretty common symptoms. The not-using-the-box thing is often because it's painful to pee, so kitties associate the litterbox with pain.

In the meantime, make sure to clean the areas where she peed very thoroughly with a cleaner specifically formulated to get rid of kitty pee, like Fizzion or Nature's Miracle. Otherwise, even if you smell absolutely nothing, your kitty will still be able to smell it, and that will encourage her to keep peeing in those same places. With NM, you really need to saturate the rugs thoroughly, so that the back is completely wet also. I'd also spray some on the floor underneath and wipe that up. For sheets, I believe NM makes a laundry additive. I'm not sure it's necessary - I've never used it - but just something to keep in mind. Once the rugs have dried (you'll smell kitty pee until they're completely dry), you could cover them with plastic until you're sure that she's using her box regularly again. I have my guest bed covered with the plastic bags from the dry cleaner. Not very attractive, but preferable to another ruined comforter!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Jr. Cat

What is your cat's name? She looks very pretty. I love tortoiseshell kitties.

She does look a little chubby. Can you feel her ribs? What does she eat, and how often?

I agree with spirite on getting urine odor out of rugs and carpet. Urine soaks all the way through it.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea

Last edited by marie73; 10-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Premier Cat

More frequent water intake and frequent licking "down there" of her bottom could indicate some sort of bladder or uterine infection Have you taken her to the vet to get her checked out?

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page