Need help with one og my cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Need help with one og my cats

Need help with one of my cats , he is really scaredy
he is in my bedroom, i have kitty litter box in my bedroom and also i feed him in my bedroom.
he is quote scaredy and is afraid to go out of my room.
he only goes out at night when there is nobody else outside except maybe me.

recently i moved his litter box out of the room, just outside my bedroom door and also his food.
i want him to get used to the whose house and not just my room, i feel he is more like a dog than a cat

when i try to let him out alone and close the bedroom door he will just cry and make noise as he wants to get in again. he does't eat the food outside and just wants to go into the room

but when inside the room now, since his food is outside he will eat anything like plastic and then vomit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Of course he's going to cry when he's locked out of the only home he knows. Plus, cats hate closed doors. It's up to you to keep bad stuff he could eat off the floor and put away or thrown away. He'll explore the rest of the house on his own time.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Jr. Cat

How long have you had him? Has he seen the entire house yet?

Leave the bedroom door open when you show him other rooms. Give him treats where you want to put the food and water bowls so he makes the "food here" connection. Reward him for using the litterbox in a different location.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

thanks. He has been with me for more than a year .
We close the doors as mosquitoes might get into the bedroom.
But i'll try to leave bedroom open so he can explore.
I guess he is my spoiled cat, he's close to me but nervous around other people.

i usually bring him downstairs during night time, when other people are already sleeping.
before his litterbox is inside the bedroom, but it really smells bad when he poops inside the bedroom.
so what we want is to get him used to his litter box outside the room, so he can poop outside and get in and sleep inside at night.

its not only on the floor, he was munching on my routers antenna earlier today
then we have plastic plants and he ate that before then vomits it out. he has access to my computer table, every place inside my room which has lots of stuff.

but he does this when he gets hungry, he is used to having food available to him whole day as my wife likes to make sure their food bowl are always filled up . but now i want him to eat outside my room and poop outside my room, but stay inside when he is not pooping and eating
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Jr. Cat

What kind of litter is he using? Unscented clumping litter does not stink.

Some cats are just one-person cats.

You need to train him to eat somewhere else gradually so that he will not keep defaulting back to inedible objects in the bedroom. Good luck.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Premier Cat

If you use clumping litter (unscented) to a depth of 2 to 3 inches, and clean your litter box twice a day, making sure you scrape up any of the urine or poop that may be stuck to the bottom of the box, the litter box should not stink. After a couple of weeks, entirely empty the box and wash thoroughly with baking soda, and then refill with fresh litter. This will ensure a box that does not smell bad
Since you have had him for "more than a year", it's unlikely that he will change his behavior. Some cats are just born "nervous" or "anxious" or "scaredy cats". I had one such cat one time, and she was very timid, even though both her parents were outgoing and she had a good upbringing as a kitten and was well socialized. I really wouldn't force him to eat outside your room if he doesn't feel comfortable about it.
As far as eating stuff that you don't want nibbled, such as plastic plants and router wires get some Bitter Lemon or Bitter Apple spray (pet stores carry it), or failing that maybe a little bit of "hot sauce" wiped on the wires will discourage him.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks he is a really sweet cat but he is anxious . Today i got him to eat outside the door what i did was open the door and i sat with him while he is eating, then he just went back into the room . Ill try to soray some chilli oil on plastic llant he is nibbling on. Good thing he is able to vomit
It out, he doesn't seem to learn its not edible. For the kitty litter my wife puts 2-3 inches but she doesn't top it up when she removes some then after a week she will wash the litter box and do the process again. Ill maintain it at 3 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 10-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page